Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x57jrs

8x57jrs

I have been trying to replicate the Norma Onxy load that my rifle is regulated for. Ruag do not import Norma powders into the U.K. only Norma bullets.
    Has anyone got a pet load for 8x57jrs that will produce similar results to the Norma load, or can anyone suggest a powder similar to Norma 202.

What weight of bullet do you use, I have Ken Waters pet loads and he has a lot of information and loads in there for the 8X57 JS Mauser. The only Norma load he mentions is for 196 gr RNSP and for that he use IMR-4064 and IMR-4895. Most of his loading, but not all, seem to revolve around IMR with a sprinkling of VV and others.

I hope this helps, let me know if you want more info.

John

Thanks JayB but it is the rimmed round with 196grn bullet not 8mm Mauser that I am interested in. What I want to do is duplicate the Norma Onyx load if possible so that impact of both barrels converge at 50m.
    Accuracy has not been a problem with various loads that I have developed for this rifle, convergance is another matter.
    I know that the Norma loads work and are my benchmark, I just want to replicate this load.

Well, I can't help you with specific loads but, I have just looked at a burn rate chart which shows Norma 202 sitting right between VV N540 and IMR4320. Could give you a starting point.

John

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57
    Thanks JayB but it is the rimmed round with 196grn bullet not 8mm Mauser that I am interested in. What I want to do is duplicate the Norma Onyx load if possible so that impact of both barrels converge at 50m.
    Accuracy has not been a problem with various loads that I have developed for this rifle, convergance is another matter.
    I know that the Norma loads work and are my benchmark, I just want to replicate this load.
    The loading data for the 8x57JR and the 8x57J are identical. ("The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions", Nonte) When forming appropriate base-brass to 8x57JR it is finished in the standard 8x57J die set.

I found this on a web search

http://www.handloads.com/forum/showt...=3&thread=2009

This guy is using 30 grains of N-202 with a 200 grain bullet at 1778 fps in his drilling. It's a place to start.

Good Luck. ~Muir

Thanks for trying Muir, but we are talking about a differant round here.
    8x57jrs or 8x57irs as it is sometimes marked, is a very common round in Europe and not to be confused with the earlier rounds that this article refers to.
    8x57jrs is not just the rimmed version of 8mm Mauser (7.92x57), it is loaded to lower pressures for break action guns and generally runs about 200fps slower as a result. Therefore the data is not interchangeable.
    My problem is that I want to duplicate the Norma 196grn oryx load but the Norma powders are not available in the U.K. I have obtained good accuracy with a few powders but have not been able to get the convergence of the barrels at 50m that I obtain with the Norma load.
    Norma ammo isn't cheap here and I would prefer to load my own if I can.

I think this is what you may be looking for.

And this

Thanks 300wsm.
    Tu5000 is one of the powders that I have been using, accurate but for some reason various combinations have been tried and the two barrels will not converge like the Norma Oryx loads that the rifle was regulated for. The Norma load is my benchmark. I am trying to duplicate this load but unfortunately Ruag do not import the powder only the bullets.

A quick look on Quickload suggests N135 and H4895 are fairly close pressures and velocities to Norma 202 pm me some details and I put the into quick load for you.

If you are using a double rifle you could experiment with TWO different bullet heads in each barrel.
    It is possible that by interchanging one with the other you may get the required convergence.
    For many years I used a Merkel actioned 7X65R O/U and used to put a round-nose 173gr reload in the bottom barrel for short range forest work on Roe and Muntys and a 130gr spitzer in the top for longer range work on the mountain for Reds.
    When the 173gr in the bottom barrel was zeroed to centre at 100 yards the 130gr in the top barrel impacted 3" high at 100yards which was excellent for Reds out to 200 yards on the mountain.

HWH.