• loaded and uncocked OK

2 16.67%
  • underloaded OK

6 50.00%
  • empty chamber and mag only

4 33.33%

Thread: level 2 safety - a loaded question

level 2 safety - a loaded question

We all know that best practice and level 1 safety requires unloadind at obstacles, but in the real world, and specifically asked about R93 rifles which are absolutely safe unless cocked, would you really need to empty the chamber and/or mag when climbing/crossing etc.....

AW's what do you say?

Yes i would expect it the ones with R93 might not have them always.For the lev 2 test i think its not such a hard ship you do have some one with you after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    We all know that best practice and level 1 safety requires unloadind at obstacles, but in the real world, and specifically asked about R93 rifles which are absolutely safe unless cocked, would you really need to empty the chamber and/or mag when climbing/crossing etc.....
    Safety is all about good/safe habits and routines, so making an exception and relaxing good practice for a particular brand/model of rifle has to be a bad thing.

As 6pointer said you may sometimes shoot other rifles and then need to remember to change your habits. Alternatively you might be shooting with a someone unfamiliar with the R93 who may then consider you unsafe.

hi Guy's,
    I'm not familier with the R93 and how it's action differs from my Tikka, Anschutz and CZ apart from it's a "straight pull" rifle, can you explain for those that have'nt handled one, how the rifle is safe unless cocked, I take it you mean the rifle has a round in the chamber with the pin resting on it?
    In the DSC1 bumf it mentions the practice of resting the pin on a chambered round and that it is not good practice which i agree with ?.

ATB

Tikkat3

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post

AW's what do you say?

Remember it called "best practice" it may not be the best practice for that obstacle/ crossing ,it is down to the individual ,I always say to people to carry out the same practices that they carry out on every other outing, that way there is no change, in there normal practice , no change, no pressure, no problems ,no accidents.

It is up to you to talk to your AW on the day, ask what he wishes to see, I see people who do not load until there into a quarry species , I also see people that load at the beginning of the stalk and will pass me the weapon to hold whilst they cross a fence , I most certainly do not have a problem with that ,I tell people at the beginning if that's is how they cross a obstacle, back it up by reminding me it is loaded .

Just as a prompt to remind both parties ,it saves any complacency .

Generally I would always ask what that particular AW wants to see, everyone differs .

oops voted on the wrong one , sorry guys..that will teach me to read it properly

The other thing is that as you are with a witness it is also about consideration for a second person being present, i.e. showing them the rifle is unloaded so they know if you fall over the fence and drop it they aren't going to get a bullet!

On one occasion with an AW I went to unload to cross a single, low strand of electric fence that could be easily stepped over. I did so only because I wanted him to see I had considered it a potential danger. He actually stopped me and said it's ok I can see you're safe and was happy that for the nature of the obstacle it was ok to step over whilst being extra careful with the muzzle.