Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which mod would you put on it ?

which mod would you put on it ?

Hi Guys

Ive just bought a new rifle (first ever new rifle) a browning x bolt 308 stainless stalker with a fluted 20" inch barrel.

which moderater would you put on the end of it as i want to keep it fairly light if i can.

I do like the idea of no mod but just thinking of recoil.

ATB

Dave

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    A .308 is a reasonably tame calibre, if your home loading it could be tamed further if you needed to, other than that, try various factory ammunition, you may be surprised at the recoil or lack of it.

I have a Wildcat for sale if interested, if your after a muzzle can I can reccommend an ATEC CMM, lighter than a Wildcat, but sticks out more.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Another one for the A TEC CMM 4 justed fitted one to my X-BOLT in .270 grate peace of kit.

Forgot to say that you can use it for lamping as well with a scope mounted light, dose not reflect the light the same as the T8.

John
    Last edited by MACKY; 01-04-2011 at 10:23.

tj

i been thinking the same about the ATEC CMM i think its the forward, how much length does it add to your rifle and is it any good sound reduction/ recoil wise mate ???

Is your X-bolt pre-threaded, as if not, I would go with TJ suggestion of trying it without a moderator - if noise reduction is not an issue on the ground you shoot over.

I have a Remington 7 with a 19" barrel and I use a T8 Reflex which does not add much to the overall length but they are heavy though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ewich View Post

Is your X-bolt pre-threaded, as if not, I would go with TJ suggestion of trying it without a moderator - if noise reduction is not an issue on the ground you shoot over.

I have a Remington 7 with a 19" barrel and I use a T8 Reflex which does not add much to the overall length but they are heavy though!
    the x bolt has come factory threaded ewich, but i cant afford a cmm4 aswell as gun at this present time, so iam going to use it without mod for a while and see how i get on with it.

noise is no issue was just thinking of recoil as ive never shot a 308 before, should be fine though , i do like the idea of no mod on the end

ATB
    Dave

i use a T4 on my .308 - the least protruding forward of all moderators

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    tj

i been thinking the same about the ATEC CMM i think its the forward, how much length does it add to your rifle and is it any good sound reduction/ recoil wise mate ???
    Couldn't tell you off hand, I'm working away just now and don't have the access to my Rifle, It's also fitted to my 22-250, so a noise comparison would be difficult, my 22-250 is very quiet with it though, I have a CMM6 to go on my .270 next week. But due to nothing but the positive comments about the ATEC, I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

my tikka lite has a 20" barrel and i have one of the atec cmm4 mods, the rifle handles great, it does not make the rifle top heay at all, youd barely notice the mod on the rifle.

Definately recomend the atec mod.

wicklow202

I've got an ASE S5 on my X bolt stainless stalker and I find it a nice bit of kit. It's on a 243 though and I don't know if you can get them for 308.

The stainless steel of the mod matches the stainless of the barrel which is always nice!