Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High seats and other things

High seats and other things

Hello chaps

Have been thinking of putting dissclaimers on the high seats. Now if I do is there a chance that I am letting myself into trouble should there be an idiot who whilst tresspassing falls out of one. I have always been lead to believe that if you put mud on the road during suger beet harvest , if you put out a sign saying "mud on road" you are admitting there is a problem thus making yourself liable.

Also if it is wise to put up signs what would be the correct legal wording in order to counter any claims and have any of you had 1st had dealings or know of a test case.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Mark

Disclaimers are, as you have said a nightmare. You still have to ensure the high seat is in good order and safe even if someone who does not read, or is foreign decides to have a climb.
    I'm not sure a disclaimer will stand up in court if someone has an accident on anything to do with your shoot !!

Account Suspended

Warning

The forest owners,agents & shooting tenants will not accept any responsibility in any way as to the safety of this or any structure within this forest.

The climbing of this structure is at your own risk and you must satisfy yourself as to the safety of the structure before use.

This notice complies with the requirements of ............Forest Company.
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 31-03-2011 at 16:32.

Stu, that is not worth the paper it's written on! What if it's a foreigner or someone who can't read?

Saying you will take no responsibility is not a get out clause. All you seats etc should comply with current H&S , ladders act, working at height etc.

I know it's a load of rubbish but you should try to take every reasonable precaution to prevent access to the ladder and make sure it is not liable to fail in any way or fall!

There are systems that lock the rungs by placing either a hinged board over the rung or blanking them out totally. A picture with either no climbing or do not use like a road sign is better than a long drawn out pargraph.

H&S sucks!

Sign or no sign your still liable !!!!!!!! Mud on road and you don't clean it up your liable

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Sign or no sign your still liable !!!!!!!! Mud on road and you don't clean it up your liable

Exactly.

Account Suspended
    All our ladders to high seat towers are integral to the structure some 30ft high designed by a structural engineer so placing a door over them isnt an option.

If your insured why does it matter as long as you have taken all reasonable care. The law also puts onus on the injured party as to what notices and precaution was taken and decides percentage of blame
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 31-03-2011 at 16:59.

All you have to do is make the blank have hooks for the rung, and place a blank at the rear. A couple of bolts join them at the front with an eye bolt that you can fit a padlock through. If the blank is 6 foot high it makes it very difficult for anyone to climb the ladder.

It may mean early morning stalks are a little difficult!

Stu, do you have guide wires on your towers? This is another nightmare! What if a mountain biker is bombing down at last light and hits the wire at neck height? Should the wires be guarded by a permanent fence or exclosure?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Stu, do you have guide wires on your towers? This is another nightmare! What if a mountain biker is bombing down at last light and hits the wire at neck height? Should the wires be guarded by a permanent fence or exclosure?
    Yes they do have guide wires in yacht grade stainless cable attached to turn buckles to maintain tension.

Where the high seats are situated mountain bikers would find it exceedingly difficult to get anywhere near on a bike but I take your point. Maybe a perimeter fence should be erected around the high seat then they can run in the fence and smash their ribs and break their kneck on that, where do you stop
    I could always dig a moat around it so they can run into that and drown I suppose at least they wont be injured