Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: disappointig velocity

  1. #1

    disappointig velocity

    Just got a chronograph and tested my 87grn loads in 25-06.
    According to hornady book should be getting roughly 3200 fps, but when tested only getting 2850.
    Heads are set out to standard oal 3.115 and groups are good.
    Im using 53.3 grn h4831sc and fedrel primer with winchester brass
    Have i done something wrong.
    Thought i was getting somewhere with my loading
    Please help..........
    Just thought as well, set chrono 2m away from muzzle

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bri2506 View Post
    Just got a chronograph and tested my 87grn loads in 25-06.
    According to hornady book should be getting roughly 3200 fps, but when tested only getting 2850.
    Heads are set out to standard oal 3.115 and groups are good.
    Im using 53.3 grn h4831sc and fedrel primer with winchester brass
    Have i done something wrong.
    Thought i was getting somewhere with my loading
    Please help..........
    Just thought as well, set chrono 2m away from muzzle
    IF GROUPS ARE GOOD WHY BOTHER ABOUT IT ?
    Different rifles, barrel lengths etc cause variations , also different batches of powder often show results not expected.
    Group size is more important than the last 100fps of any loading.

    HWH.

  3. #3
    Stag has, as ever, a good point.

    However, as somone who doesn't reload but like to know how fast his bullets go I have two immediate thoughts, both of which you've probably considered already:

    1. Are the figures from the book based on a longer barrel than yours? I find that manufacturer's figures tend to be from 24", and my barrels are 21" and 22", which I think explains why my velocities are lower than the 'book' values.

    2. My chrono likes to be 12-14' from the muzzle. Closer, and it reads oddly: presumably because of some muzzle-blast interference.

  4. #4
    What was the quoted length of the test barrel Hornady used could be 27" so would account for difference,if you using the load on deer and its accurate then don't worry it won't be as damaging meat wise as one doing 3200 fps.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    What was the quoted length of the test barrel Hornady used could be 27" so would account for difference,if you using the load on deer and its accurate then don't worry it won't be as damaging meat wise as one doing 3200 fps.
    Test rifle was a 24 inch and mine is a 22. shouldnt have made that much difference.
    Just wanted to get it a tad flatter.
    Would measuring oal make a malor difference. ill measure twist as well

  6. #6
    If I read correctly you are 3 grains under book minimum for this load.

    Hodgdons website give min load 56gr for 3200FPS and max load of 60gr for 3400fps.

    Give it some more juice......
    Brian.

    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

  7. #7
    87 GR. SPR HP
    IMR 4831 .257" 3.115"
    start 52.0 3099f/s 41,900 CUP
    MAX 56.5 3398f/s 50,600 CUP
    off the hodgsons site

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    87 GR. SPR HP
    IMR 4831 .257" 3.115"
    start 52.0 3099f/s 41,900 CUP
    MAX 56.5 3398f/s 50,600 CUP
    off the hodgsons site
    Yeah but, yeah but....

    He states "h4831sc" not IMR. Data is not interchangeable ...

    In a Vicky Pollard voice ;-)
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 31-03-2011 at 18:57.
    Brian.

    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    87 GR. SPR HP
    IMR 4831 .257" 3.115"
    start 52.0 3099f/s 41,900 CUP
    MAX 56.5 3398f/s 50,600 CUP
    off the hodgsons site
    H4831sc is not the same powder as IMR 4831, Bri is using H4831sc.

    ATB

    Tahr

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lancs / Cumbria Border
    Posts
    1,805
    Bri


    your barrel may be "slower" than the test barrel used in the book, maufacturers sometime print "optomistic" data - yes really...


    If its grouping, stay with the load.


    The 25-06 is flat enough to 300 yds anyway.


    You'll only wear out the barrel going faster!

Similar Threads

  1. why the massive improvement in velocity?
    By Offroad Gary in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 14:28
  2. Barrel wear - velocity
    By old keeper in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-04-2010, 09:23
  3. An intersting axiom for predicting velocity of IMP cases.
    By Muir in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 00:45
  4. Low velocity round
    By bobt in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-08-2009, 07:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •