Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know they've got to make money but....

I know they've got to make money but....

I know they've got to make money but I hate it that powder manufacturers give free load data online but bullet makers don't. Does anyone know if there's any online figures for 140 grain game kings in 6.5 swede with viht N160?

I have the lee manual data for a 140 jacketed bullet but compared to the viht website figures for sierra 140 HPBTs the numbers look a little low.

I don't want to buy the sierra manual for one bullet type's worth of data.

Thanks

Bernie.

http://www.loadbooks.com/

These aren't bad.

They have pretty much all the data available for a particular calibre and are cheap.

I think Tim Hannam do them and Aftab at Reloading Solutions can get them.

Hi go onto reloaders nest it has a mass of data & very good site hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post
    http://www.loadbooks.com/

These aren't bad.

They have pretty much all the data available for a particular calibre and are cheap.

I think Tim Hannam do them and Aftab at Reloading Solutions can get them.
    Am I right that these books are for indibvidual calibres? Sound's quite good.

That's right.

I have one for the 30.06

Make sure you get one that's up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    I know they've got to make money but I hate it that powder manufacturers give free load data online but bullet makers don't. Does anyone know if there's any online figures for 140 grain game kings in 6.5 swede with viht N160?

I have the lee manual data for a 140 jacketed bullet but compared to the viht website figures for sierra 140 HPBTs the numbers look a little low.

I don't want to buy the sierra manual for one bullet type's worth of data.

Thanks

Bernie.
    Powder makers give away data because they are the last word in load data. They make the powder, after all, and stay in business (and out of court) by providing the best and most scientifically screened data. Like firearm manufacturers providing PDF files for Instruction Manuals on-line, it keeps the customer safe, and their legal department dwiddling their thumbs instead of gearing up for court work.

Bullet makers simply apply the accepted data to their bullets, publishing the data they obtained with a given LOT of powder with one of their pricey gems. There is no need to buy a Speer manual to see how one of THEIR 140 grain bullets will function. Data from V-V for any 140 will work when you begin the process properly at "minimum" and work up. There is no bullet design difference/feature that will prohibit the use of data published for a give caliber and weight.

Bullet makers would have you believe otherwise, I think. When in doubt, go with the powder maker's data. JMHO~Muir

Sound advise as always Muir.

Bernie you say that Lee give a different load to Vhitavouri? In my experience every load that I have looked up in the 2nd edition Lee manual is identical to that in the 7th edition Vhitavouri. Obviously Lee take their guidance direct from V-V, though Vhitavouri have recently issued updated guidance which could have changed.

Except for Barnes bullets though right Muir?

I almost had a scary with 168gr TSX's in my 30.06 through using the wrong data,The maximum load in the Barnes manual for this bullet ( 54.5 gr) and H4350 is not too far off the minimum load given by Hogdon for 168 gr conventional bullets.

I managed to work up to the max given by Hogdon ( 59 grains) and SAW NO PRESSURE SIGNS! I only got wind of what was up through the felt recoil and then chronographing it to check.

Cup and core bullets fine, but be very careful of substituting data generally.

Bernie,
    I have the Sierra manual and it does not give any listing for N-160 and 140gr GK (#1730) in 6.5x55 Swede. The listings are for faster burning powders; however, it does list RE-19 and RE-22 (looking at the Vit powder comparison chart, N-160 falls somewhere between these 2). The recommended accuracy load uses Varget and the recommended hunting load uses RE-22.

Thank you all for your replies. The disparity is that Lee says min for 140 Gn Jacketed is 42.2 and max is 45.6. VV website says min for a 140 gn is 43.4 and max is 46.7.

Bryan C thanks for the gouge on the sierra manual.

Bernie