Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st roe to new rifle

1st roe to new rifle

Attachment 5816Attachment 5815

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a look out this morning i did and this is how it went.

Up a 4am and down to the wood by 5am it was still very dark apart from 3 pairs of blue lights coming down the private road towards me i thought i was seeing things but no the boys and girls in blue had a phone call about a van opening the electric gates and driving down the road that was funny as i have a ford mondeo?????
    Anyway they where sound and of they went.

around 6am it started raining again so i gve it 10 mins then started walking the fields to the wood and the 1st thing i see is a fox with a rabbit around 100yrd and it was eating it , i was very tempted but no i am here for the roe.
    Went to my 1st port of call which is a nice ride around 250 yards long sat for a while on a styl near a gate and nothing so i thought i would have a slow stalk down the ride and make my way to the high tower.
    Got to the high tower got the seat sorted and waited as there is 2 rides from the tower 1 of around 300 yards and 1 of a 100 so i was there watching the pheasants and at the end of the ride i could see a roe so glassed and it was a buck but far to far for a shot so i watched it and it came to about 170-180 yards but i thought be patient . The bugger turned into the wood but that happens so i sat and had a smoke and then a doe came from the right hand side of the ride and was looking behind her so up with the rifle and ready and out came a young doe so false alarm.
    I was watching the does for about 15 mins and they went in then i saw my buck it was around 100-110 yards it must of only gone in the wood and walked straight down towards me so i shot it and it dropped which i was pleased as i was trying the berger vld`s hunting for the 1st time on the roe so i went down and sorted it out and i was pleased it was not a very good head for here and was the 1st roe with the new 7mm.

i will post a pic of the head later.

regards
    chris
    Last edited by chrisc; 01-04-2011 at 10:14.

Congrats mate,

what kind of expansion did you see with the berger VLD, my understanding is that under 300yds they penetrate without expansion, but I'd be keen to hear more on what the exit wound diameter was.

once again, well done, sounds like a great morning!

hi pkl,

the vld left around a inch to inch and a half exit but it is what it did inside it was certainly going no where the buck that is .it was a very clean kill and no carcase damage and they are very accurate ,or it took the bottom of the heart out.

regards
    chris

That was my understanding of it too, good penetration, massive damage, drop on the spot.. Anyway, nice trophy, I'd be pretty happy with that!

Congrats on your buck. Its a nice mature animal. The head looks allright to me. A great start to the season, well done. FM.

Chris,

What 7mm did you use on the Roe. I have a 7mm Rem Mag on order and am keeping an eye out for people's experience with different bullets. I had thought the Rem Mag might be a bit OTT for Roe, but maybe not.

Cheers,

Bob

cheers lads i keep a eye out at this place as there is some really big lads here which i have been keeping i know 1 has gone as i saw it 1 evening and the next morning in the area i saw him i found drag marks from the edge of the wood to the field where it is not my land and other people shoot??

regards
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    Chris,

What 7mm did you use on the Roe. I have a 7mm Rem Mag on order and am keeping an eye out for people's experience with different bullets. I had thought the Rem Mag might be a bit OTT for Roe, but maybe not.

Cheers,

Bob
    hi bob i use 140grn in my 7x64.

regards
    chris

nice one ,good writeup you beat me by a few hours i think i managed mine at just after 9 this morning,blimey you got that head sorted quickly,atb wayne