Fox snare help

Sako 3006

I have just purchased 10 Relax-A-Lock fox snares that I intend to put down next week when I go down my cousins farm to help him with the lambing.
What I would like to know is what is the best way to get rid of the smell of newness,being factory oils and greases and of course human scent.
I need to get these down A.S.A.P.
Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
These snares are in addition to lamping.

I am using those at the moment and the only advice I can give is get them outside as soon as you can. Other than that I cant help. I have six in one three acre field and have shot six fox's and caught nothing. I must be the worlds worse trapper. :lol:

Cut a load of bark chips from an oak tree cover them with boiling water and stick the wires in with it. The tannin will discolour the wire and destroy all scent. When tilling the wire rub your hands in the soil (away from the site) and you shouldn't have too many problems. Set the loop big enough. There is some good advice on snaring on the web.
Good luck.

Boil them in soda crystals till scum forms then flush under a cold tap till clear so you dont retaint them by pulling out thro scum, they will be free of oil so dont last as long as leaving out for some weeks to season, so will rust quicker. I normaly spray mine with matt brown camo type aerosol paint which when left outside for a week or two doen't smell if you choose the non thinners type, water based is best,;) and blends in well anywhere, you aint got time but new snares smell of oil and dont catch, so just boil them and remove smell and at same time take away the brightness of the wire. deerwarden:rolleyes:

Cut a load of bark chips from an oak tree cover them with boiling water and stick the wires in with it. The tannin will discolour the wire and destroy all scent. When tilling the wire rub your hands in the soil (away from the site) and you shouldn't have too many problems. Set the loop big enough. There is some good advice on snaring on the web.
Good luck.

Boil them in soda crystals till scum forms then flush under a cold tap till clear so you dont retaint them by pulling out thro scum, they will be free of oil so dont last as long as leaving out for some weeks to season, so will rust quicker. I normaly spray mine with matt brown camo type aerosol paint which when left outside for a week or two doen't smell if you choose the non thinners type, water based is best,;) and blends in well anywhere, you aint got time but new snares smell of oil and dont catch, so just boil them and remove smell and at same time take away the brightness of the wire. deerwarden:rolleyes:

Great advice. Thank you both.

skin a rabbit then pull the whole snare through the skin before setting it, charlie will be more interested in the small of wabbit
Surely this is bad advise the fox dosen't want to smell the snare at all he has to put his head through it........... If he smells it he will know its there.:doh:

Put the snares in a large pot with some teabags this not only gets rid of oil grease scents but also stains making them almost invisible to any antis or tree huggers who might be about

Surely this is bad advise the fox dosen't want to smell the snare at all he has to put his head through it........... If he smells it he will know its there.:doh:

Must agree with this......

Boil new snare wire with oak leaves, or tea will rid the wire of factory smell and dye them slightly.....

Spray the wire with touch up paint from the car accessory shop, you may think this would smell, but it does'nt, ive had foxes days after spraying..

sorry FS ws typing same time

Put the snares in a large pot with some teabags this not only gets rid of oil grease scents but also stains making them almost invisible to any antis or tree huggers who might be about
works for me too but i usually have some on a year in advance cycle left on my trapping shed .i use smooth fencing wire tealers to set them. this stuck in the ground the last 2 inch bent over slightly then a small cable tye attached at the nipple end allowing the the pear shaped snare to hang freely over the run that way it it self re setting should a hare or badger brush it .smooth wire is about a 18 " long .use on a good drag or secure pin had great results good luck

Boil em up with bicarb and let them dry - sends them a flat grey colour. Relax-a-locks are good but can rust and stop the noose running - keep an eye on em if it turns wet.

James

I hav never ever bothered weathering fox snares
could not see the point as on a good night with new snares , I hav snared as many as 6
On a bad one I would be setting several back up the next morning after they had been knocked,
It may take a day or too some weeks before I started to catch , but catch I would
When I moved to the city the foxes were even easier to snare often with in hours
my quickest one to date is 1 and half hours from purchase to catching and was set around the guinea fowl pen mid afternoon

Try putting a hessian sack containing horse or cow dung into a water butt like a sort of giant teabag, chuck the snares in for a couple of days and you're sorted, added bonus - use the water to water you're tomato's, beats any plant food you can buy?

Tikkat3

dont know mate ! guess we will soon find out .have always used one on my regular runs to avoid ruining the run .i generally use pins on standing crops tramlines etc hope its not !

(in scotland)

Drags are now illegal and a snare should be set in a way that the fox cannot hang itself. (no more setting under fences or near immovable objects)

The snare must also be set in a way that the fox cannot drown itself. (no more setting on runs on the burn/river side)

All snares must be tagged with an ID tag registered with your local WLO.

Another age old method of vermin control that is as good as banned. New laws make it almost impractical to snare within the law.

As for weathering new snares... just set them, they will weather soon enough.

Last edited:
Back