Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I a Philistine if...

Am I a Philistine if...

Am I a philistine if I turn whole Roe deer - haunches, backstraps, shoulders etc - into burgers and sausages? I happened to mention to a stalking acquaintance today that this is exactly what I had done on Wednesday to four Roe does culled last weekend and he was completely horrified that I'd not saved the prime cuts to be enjoyed as steaks and roasting joints. My response was that I like venison sausages and now I've got lots of them

My reasoning is that I shoot plenty of deer, had a surplus of does hanging in the chiller, don't particularly like Roe venison in any form other than minced (I find it has a strong liver taste regardless of hanging time) and think it makes excellent sausages. My sons also prefer, being fussy modern teenagers, meat in the form of sausages and burgers, so it means I can get them to eat my free venison in a form that is free of crappy additives but in a form that is acceptable to them. It also means that the mince I produce is made from the best quality meat, rather than the minced 'ears and arses' I suspect goes into commercial mince (or at least the 'lesser' cuts).

I'm probably a bit less free with Fallow and Sika but that's because I like the venison more from those species and tend to butcher them into steaks etc. I just find it odd that someone would regard wild venison as some kind of higher form of meat, worthy of greater reverence? Maybe I would feel differently if I were paying the kind of prices for venison that Nicola Fletcher charges I tend to regard it as an abundant free food source (ignoring the vast amount spent on guns, ammunition, optics, dogs, vehicles, fuel, clothing etc ) that I can do what I like with.

Philistine or not?

Adam.

Funnily enough I was talking to a butcher today who often does the same thing. He said he gets more demand for burgers and sausages than steaks. Modern tastes I suppose, varieties of seasonings etc. So long as all the meat is used and enjoyed who cares in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post
    Mincer.
    It could be worse - I could be American, in which case the term would be 'grinder', and I could be a heterosexual mincer but there are no grey areas if you're a grinder (look it up on your iphone apps if you need a clue - useful if you want to find a felcher in a hurry, apparently...)

Its your deer, you're going to eat it, do what you want with it!

venny burger/sausage is a great way to eat venison, always at the ready for a quick meal...and zero waste too!!...still nice to keep the odd joint/steak back though for that special occasion

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    It could be worse - I could be American, in which case the term would be 'grinder', and I could be a heterosexual mincer but there are no grey areas if you're a grinder (look it up on your iphone apps if you need a clue - useful if you want to find a felcher in a hurry, apparently...)

Ah, so "homesteader"must their equivalent to our "cottager" then.

As has been said, it's your deer do what you like with it.

However if you were to separate off and freeze me the loins I'll replace with the best mince beef whenever you like.

No I do it regularly and got the waist line to prove it

Well I wouldn't do it but live and let live is what I reckon. Roe is pretty much my favourite food.

Not!

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.