Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to buy a new scope...recommendations please!

Time to buy a new scope...recommendations please!

Hi Everyone...please could I get some opinions...

I have 600 quid burning a hole at the moment so its time for a new scope.

Primarily Roe and Fallow...what scopes would you recommend for this budget?

All info gratefully received.

Fixed mag or variable? illuminated or not?
    Northallerton shooting supplies have a couple of fixed mag Khales at very good prices. last time I was in they had a new illuminated 8X56 for about 635iirc. The retail price is now considerably higher.
    Macleods of tain also have some cracking deals on new and second hand stuff, they are great to dela with and there are many people on here (me included) who will happily vouch for them.
    R. Macleod Rifle Dealer, Tain

Thanks Pigglet...im thinking 8 x 50-ish fixed but would be open to suggestion.

I have never used an illuminated jobbie and have been warned off them by a friend who says they are a wee bit tricky in low light situations...?

Bit more info
    Scope Poll. 8X56 or 6X42. Which do you use and why?

One thing to be aware of is that any scope with a 50mm or bigger objective is going to sit quite high and thus makes proper cheek weld more difficult to achieve.
    Most hunting rifle stocks are really designed for use with open sights so the comb is too low anyway. I've got a kids size head and had to have my cheek piece modded to make it adjustable to give proper cheek weld. The result was quite dramatic though and my groups went from about 2" to a 3shot ragged hole/cloverleaf at the first attempt with the mod'd stock.

Thanks pigglet...missed that one all good info there

Quote Originally Posted by kugelnmozart View Post
    Thanks Pigglet...im thinking 8 x 50-ish fixed but would be open to suggestion.

I have never used an illuminated jobbie and have been warned off them by a friend who says they are a wee bit tricky in low light situations...?
    I've not used a fixed mag stalking scope with illuminated ret but my bunny bashing scope is illuminated and it's not "tricky" to use.
    With a fine reticle in low light, there is a chance that the reticle will become invisible when placed of a dark object such as something furry/hairy so although you can see the animal, you can;t see where the centre of the ret is on it.
    An illuminated ret (usually a small dot on stalking rets) will glow red and show clearly against a dark background.

I use this feature quite a bit on my bunny scope but the ret on my fixed mag is much thicker which goes a long way to negating the problem.
    In reality when it gets that dark, how many more shots at deer will it give you and how much more time will it buy???
    Some people seem to love them and some people seem to hate them. Either way I wouldn't be put off buying a scope just beacuause it had an illuminated ret.

8 x 56 s&b

Have a look at the IOR range. fantastic and with your budget you should just be able to get the fixed 6x42 ideal for stalking no fancy bits to catch in the trees and as good if not better than some of the more trendy models about. have used them for years and never had a problem. Border barrels sell them.

Carl