17hmr or 22lr

webby954

just want anybodys opinion which would you choose 17hmr or 22lr this as an everyday rabbit corvid with chance of fox as well

cheers webby

The 22lr is very hard to beat as a good all round bunny basher at short ranges, if you will be shooting at longer ranges the 17hmr will be the gun of choice. Both very good small vermin calibers.

got the 2 of them and (IF I HAD TO GIVE 1 ) it would 17hmr!!!!( 22lr for up 70 mts) and the (17 out to 120 mts but u/s in wind) round to ligth but on agood day (no wind )head shoots at 120 all day with 17hmr but its a good thing i don.t have to give 1 up ???? but i do take my 22 out more ? if that any help to u

I have more .22's than I can count off the top of my head...maybe 2 dozen? but own only 2 HMR's. I shoot .22 every day and wouldn't be without one on my hikes across the wilderlands of Montana.~Muir

cheers guys its just as money tight need to get most use and value out of what i get .ive got feo coming round on wed night and he has said if i want to change anything thats time to do it .

cheers guys its just as money tight need to get most use and value out of what i get .

22 all day
cheap to buy 2nd hand, cheap to feed, range of HV and sub bullets
never get an HMR as quiet

neither is a fox round IMO unless you are inside 50yds (30yds for the 22) and can get a clean headshot, wouldnt mention fox to the FEO if I were you, depends entirely on where you are based, I have vermin on Fox listed on my FAC under the HMR but most counties dont like it.

Another vote for the 22. Once you know its capabilities you wont look back.17 too fussy with weather conditions , ammo too expensive & never get it quite.On the plus side less chance of ricoshays.I never under estimate the 22 rim.
Tusker

This is a no brainer ! You run both .22lr ot to 80 yards with subs ( virtually no noise ) & .17 hmr out to 200 yards (if no wind ) sorry to preach,lee

hi webby. i have a .22 and love it. the only disadvantage i can find with it is ricochet on hard ground in the summer. longer range of .17 is for me not a concideration as they are prone to wind movement and lots of the places i shoot have rough fields were the grass is long enough that you would struggle to spot rabbits beyond 100 yards anyway. dont be fooled by the small round and little noise of the .22. i once had a jammy shot when one rabbit put his head square behind the one i was aiming at. one shot. two rabbits head shot. paced out at eighty yards so they have plenty of poke:D

I have a .22 and a HMR, both CZ's. The .22 is used a huge amount more than the HMR!

ATB

Tom

Interesting the number of people who discount the HMR due to wind, based on the fact it drifts less than both the .22lr and ,22wmr its an interesting reason to discount it.

Interesting the number of people who discount the HMR due to wind, based on the fact it drifts less than both the .22lr and ,22wmr its an interesting reason to discount it.

There was an interesting article a few years back about shooting ground squirrels with the 17 HMR and the 22WMR. The author noted that in the field, the drift of good 22WMR ammo wasn't any different. The hold off in the desert winds was about the same out to 125-150 yards. I think he was using Hornady 30 grain and Remington ballistic tip 33 grain which has a much higher BC than the 17 grain Hornady offering. ~Muir

I had both to start off with but now just own the Hummer, will cover short and long ranges so much more versatile than the .22lr imo. Less chance of the ricochet over the .22lr which can be useful. Have shot the Hummer in varying wind condition and never had to compensate anymore than the .22lr tbh, I think the ammo price is more an issue with some.

I had both to start off with but now just own the Hummer, will cover short and long ranges so much more versatile than the .22lr imo. Less chance of the ricochet over the .22lr which can be useful. Have shot the Hummer in varying wind condition and never had to compensate anymore than the .22lr tbh, I think the ammo price is more an issue with some.

its the noise for me.
cant beat a super stealthy rabbit slotter!

Me too !! But iv'e allready got a hornet, so it had to be the .22 LR. That's covered that area well..

Back