Thread: swingblade

swingblade

can any of you guys give me advice on how/what to use to sharpen the curved part of the knife.Ive tried allsorts but just cant get the edge right
    many thanks
    I`m afraid when i die the wife will sell my gear for the price i told her

Mick, I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker on my EKA. If you use the edge, not the flats, of the tri-angular stones on the curved blade it works very well. I can shave my arm with mine.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Mick, I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker on my EKA. If you use the edge, not the flats, of the tri-angular stones on the curved blade it works very well. I can shave my arm with mine.

Simon
    me also the Spyderco does a good job !!

I use a butchers steel on all my knives
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I use a CRKT Slide Sharp Sharpener
    see

Slide Sharp Sharpener from CRKT

available from several outlets this side of the Atlantic, and an easy way of touching up any blade that isn't to badly blunted.

But in fact any ceramic Butchers "steel" will do it with care,
    it shouldn't be getting too blunt unless you are using it on some very thick skinned beasts - rhino?

Alasdair.

Get yourself some wet and dry paper in varying grades from coarse to polishing and some hardwood dowel, say just little finger thickness or smaller, you can adapt it to the curve of the knife. Cut a long strip of the wet and dry paper so that it can be stuck around the dowel with waterproof glue. When you have done that you will have a selection of hand made custom hones which will tackle anything from a chipped and damaged blade to polishing the finished blade. Use a stropping stroke ie draw the knife or the hone away from the edge, keep the angle the same as the manufacture's angle, do not try cutting into the paper. Rinse or wipe off the hone from time to time to keep it clean and keen. Treated sensibly these hones will last a long time,can be carried in the field and are cheap to replace if lost. If you merely wish to realign the edge using a steel just use a smooth steel rod as you do not have to remove metal from the edge to do this. Using a coarse steel will sharpen but also degrade the edge so that it will not achieve maximum sharpness and strength for the job in hand and will blunt quicker. Drop me a PM and I can give you a demo if you wish. Bob

I find the sharpmaker useful for sharpening. It makes it quite straightforward to get the angles right. The lansky system is supposed to be quite good too.