Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally made a decision!

Finally made a decision!

I put a deposit on a lab pup yesterday. They were born on march 24th so too young to choose one yet. I have got the pick of 8 dogs (there are 3 bitches too). Seen the dam and her brother, but not the sire yet. Look like a good pedigree and the breeder comes highly recommended from several sources that I trust. Should be going back in a few weeks to pick one, then bringing it home at the end of may. Can't wait!
    Will keep you posted.
    LT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	5897
    Here's a bad pic of the pups - plenty of choice!

Where do I start? I have the Guy wallace book to cover the deer side of things, but is there another good book that I should get that will give me a more in-depth insight into the basic training required from the day I get the pup home? The dog will eventually be required to deal with rough shooting, woodland stalking, pigeon shooting, driven days and wildfowling.

Not had a 'proper' gundog before and very keen to make sure I don't make any mistakes. I'm quite prepared to put the time and effort in to give the dog the best chance possible. Info on what age to start the various stages of training would be useful too.

Cheers, Mark.

There Will be lots of good advice given,for what its worth start your blood work at 8 weeks and do more with the blood trails at an early age you should find the retrieving comes natural later on.
    Pm me if you want any advice.

Anthony

Cheers Ant.

Do I have to use deer blood or is there an alternative if I cant get hold of any?

Well, chose the pup last week - meet Bill:

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	445.4 KB 
ID:	6656
    I will collect him on the 28th May, aged 9 weeks.

I have also managed to get some blood for training.

I have seen on here that some people save feet and skins, but how do I preserve them for use and how are they used in the training process please?

LT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0092.jpg   IMG_0106.jpg  
    Last edited by Little Terry; 09-05-2011 at 12:28.

Got Bob the Lab pup home on Saturday and he has been settling in over the last few days. Not getting on well with the resident Border Terrier, but hopefully time will sort that out. He will be 10 weeks old on Thursday 2nd June.

I have not tried any blood trails yet, but will do so in the next few weeks. He seems to be responding to his name and will come when called (as long as there isn't anything more interesting going on). Toilet training is a bit hit and miss so far .

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	710.5 KB 
ID:	7123

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	635.6 KB 
ID:	7124

don't worry too much about setting out blood trails parsy....drag a bit of liver along th ground in a straight line and leave a chun at the end....it gives them the idea to keep their heads down and use their nose on the ground. Also any deer bits, I stick in the freezer for use later.

Alot of people get pups to chew skins feet etc, and although there is no prolems in this, I've never had a problem with dogs not being interested in deer. Its generally the other way round, hard to get dogs to ignore deer.

I've been set back massively from what I had planned to do with the pup(i snapped my shin in half), blood trail wise but I've just run a few liver trails out, and he now follows scent trails when we're out and about.

I am an advocate of not putting a old head on young shoulders, don't over do the training, he's exploring the world, let him. once he has investigated everything 10x over he will be alot ess reluctant to stay at heel for instance. Both you and he will prosper for waiting and causing less frustration.

I just try to instill that doing what I say is worthwhile....come = a play and sometimes a treat. Sit still and do not move = getting dinner sooner. Take baby steps and keep it simple let him get everything right

Quote Originally Posted by Little Terry View Post
    Got Bob the Lab pup home on Saturday and he has been settling in over the last few days. Not getting on well with the resident Border Terrier, but hopefully time will sort that out. He will be 10 weeks old on Thursday 2nd June.

I have not tried any blood trails yet, but will do so in the next few weeks. He seems to be responding to his name and will come when called (as long as there isn't anything more interesting going on). Toilet training is a bit hit and miss so far .

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	710.5 KB 
ID:	7123

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	635.6 KB 
ID:	7124
    Mine is coming up 7 months old now and is about to start serious working training, she comes when called, stays up to a point, walks to heel, brings things to me and drops them on command, waits to have a lead put on when walking free but still has problems resisting running up to new people and dogs and being over-friendly. I've found The Working Labrador by David Hudson very good as it is pitched at the dog that is going to do some beating, retrieving but also going to be a household pet. It doesn't specifically deal with training a deer dog but there's other material for that but in terms of a compromise between an out and out working dog and a pet it's very good.

A key tip mentioned by others is absolutely not to overdo the training at the early stages, there's plenty of time, and you should finish on a high every time, if the dog does something right praise it and finish. My bitch is very food driven (I know very unusual for a lab ) and training has been very easy so far when food has been the reward, she even nudges my pocket just checking for food before we go out.

The general advice is that working training should not really start before about 6 months and depending on the dog even a few months later. My local gundog training club would not even sign a dog on until it was 6 months old.

Labs don't really grow up until they're about 3 years old and you can ruin a dog by pushing it too hard. Let it do things like get into water in their own time as to push them can frighten them. Until about a month ago mine would run up and down the edge of the river splashing and trying to catch the splashes but was reluctant to go out of her depth. A friend bought hers up to play and it was fetching balls from out in the river, next thing was my little bitch not wishing to be outdone deciding to swim. On my next visit to the river she jumped straight in and swam across and back again and within 10 minutes I had her fetching a shooting dummy from 20 yards out.
    Last edited by paul k; 31-05-2011 at 13:38.