Home made sling

TobyH

Saw a post (can't remember where) about a chap that made a sling from webbing, so I made one. Very effective, but I thought as I know a little about leather work I'm sure I could do something out of leather.

Had a look around to see what was about regarding how manufacturers fixed the sling to the swivels. Finally saw one that was very easy to make and no stitching at all (which is always good as it's the stitching that takes forever!).

Reckon it took me about 4 hours, starting from scratch. Designing, measuring, cutting, punching, finishing tools, dye-ing, beeswax, mink oiling, then measuring up sling to my 'scout' so it fits well (made extra holes so it is changeable).

The brass bits are called 'Sam Browne 501' studs. Put a small punch hole in the leather, put the bolt through then bolt on the 'mushroom' bit. Then on the other bit of strap, punch a bigger hole and slice about 1.2 times the diameter of the 'bulb' so that it fits through but won't come out easily (and it doesn't!) the tension in the sling is all thats needed to keep it in place. Very simple yet more than strong enough.

The leather is 3.5mm thick Veg Tan Hide from 'Le Prevo' in Newcastle. They do everthing you could possibly want in terms of leather work (not affiliated etc). Because of the rough surface on the back it is very good as a 'non-slip' surface. I was thinking about sewing some chamois on the rear but have decided it works very well as it is. The dye is not as perfect as it could be, but I quite like the slightly rougher look about it. The sun makes it look worse than it does in real life, the indoor shot looks more realistic.

Enough jibber jabber, here's the pics:

Sling4.jpg

Sling1.jpg

Sling2.jpg

Sling3.jpg

Got to make another one for another rifle that has slightly wider swivels, should be alot quicker as I can use this as a template...

It comes with an applicator which is a small spongey type thing, I could have done another coat or two to make it consistant. Might try the brush next time.

Back