What killed the lamb??????????????

ALLY

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone can help me?

I got a call today from one of the farmers i do some work for, he lost one of his lambs last night but he is not sure what killed it, neither am i.

It has small bite marks on the neck (too small for fox:confused:) and has the tail missing.

Could it be a martin, or such like???????

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers.

Hi guys,

I got a call today from one of the farmers i do some work for, he lost one of his lambs last night but he is not sure what killed it, neither am i.

It has small bite marks on the neck (too small for fox:confused:) and has the tail missing.

cheers.

You'll be getting all the big-cat hunters fizzy and frothy with a post like this....!!;):D

Hi guys,

cheers.

Are you absolutely sure its not a fox, the fact that the tail has gone as this is normal practice for a vixen with young cubs she will take the tail for them to play with, if you have the carcase of the lamb check to see if the tongue has been taken, will often take the tongue when the cubs are just starting on solid food , though looking at your location
I would think its a little bit early for cubs to be that big.
Did you skin the lamb to see how big the tooth marks were, I can't be certain without seeing the lamb but my money would still be on a fox.

I would agree with a fox.
It could have a tooth or two missing or broken (as some old foxes turn to killing lambs) this would be why the teeth marks don't look big enough??

Thats a fox I believe. Lose some every year to the same kind of injury. Had one this year already and it was in the same field at the same time as a fox I shot. Did'nt see the fox do it but as good as.

Thanks for all the info guys. It turned out to be a small dog fox that caused all the bother, managed to get him on thursday night.

Cheers

Ive got one chewing heads off them adn leaving them for the next day. Will be happy when the 95g VMAX catches up with him. HAa escaped so far!!!

Hi bodach, that was ma lamping partner that helped ya out wi the fuel. Aye we got him about an hour after that.

Hi bodach, that was ma lamping partner that helped ya out wi the fuel. Aye we got him about an hour after that.

Well done, never had much time to chat to him at the garage, I would have thought a dog fox killing to take back food to the vixen who would be holed up way young cubs, don't know your ground but a hungry vixen will need sorting out! When I hunted with the hounds on lambing call outs we used to find that the fox killing lambs never did it on his own door step, he would cross sheep parks to get to his prefered killing field, aye they are noo daft!

Bod

I have just finished a funny one, the lambing has been strung out due to ram to ewes ratio wih the lambs being born over a longer period than normal causing new born lambs around all over the place.

Something had eaten the front of the head off and the tails, after laying up for three nights - first fox chasing two little black lambs whistled him up and adjusted accordingly next night nothing third night 2 within twenty minutes - lambs are now bigger no problems - I have seen them take the tails off but never the front of the head before perhaps old charlie is being selective ?

Back