Thread: White Roe

White Roe

Last week whilst driving home on the Somerset /Wilts border I noticed?had a brief glimps of what looked like 3 roe deer, two were normal colour but the other was white. They were quite a way off and i was just entering a roundabout on a dual carriageway. it did occur to me that it was possible that then could have been Fallow but I have never seen a "wild" Fallow per say, all the ones i have seen have been in parks.

On my return journey the next morning I had a better look at the field and there were no deeror domestic livestock.

Just how rare would a white roe be? I am aware of the publicity re the white Scottish Roe last year.

Ant thoughts?

D

Pure white is pretty rare, the only case in recent times that has come to light as you say was the Scottish account.

More common is piebald where the deer has an area of white colouring. Saw a roe doe several times this year in Norfolk with a beautiful white face.

Alex

During the late 80's and 90's in the Eskdalemuir area (Ettrick to be precise) there was a 'strain' of pure white roe within a 4 mile radius and every now and then another would appear (at least 4 separate animals confirmed). To my knowledge they were not shot and if anyone stalks in the Glenkerry or Midgehope area I'd be interested to hear if there have ever been any seen since 2000?

About 5 years ago in Galloway there was a roe buck culled which was half white and half normal but never seen anything like it since.
    "No matter how much you do.....there's always plenty more!"

White Roe Doe, Lake District.
    HWH.

Thanks,

Lovely photo and although I was a long way off, pretty sure it was. Next time I do the route again I will take some bins and stop and have a good look.

D

Great photo. This white roe seems to be an albino rather than a white haired normal roe. It appears to have pink eyes and a pink nose. 'Normal' white roe, like white red and fallow deer would have pigmentation in the eyes and nose. Albinos occur sporadically in any species of animal. Dama

Quote Originally Posted by Jamba View Post
    During the late 80's and 90's in the Eskdalemuir area (Ettrick to be precise) there was a 'strain' of pure white roe within a 4 mile radius and every now and then another would appear (at least 4 separate animals confirmed). To my knowledge they were not shot and if anyone stalks in the Glenkerry or Midgehope area I'd be interested to hear if there have ever been any seen since 2000?

About 5 years ago in Galloway there was a roe buck culled which was half white and half normal but never seen anything like it since.
    Jamba,i worked with the planting gang on Ettrick hall, there was a pure white doe there for several years,my mate has the stalking on the property and she was never shot on his side of the fence, there have been several deer shot with large white patches on them(not thier arses),but not in recent years..

There was a white buck at Fingland, think it was found dead....