View Poll Results: What deer management qualification do you hold?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

10 30.30%
  • Trained Hunter

0 0%
  • DSC 1

13 39.39%
  • DSC 2

7 21.21%
  • Advanced Stalker

0 0%
  • BDS Deer Manager

3 9.09%

Thread: Qualifications

Qualifications

This is a follow on from the last with more options.

Please read this first.

If you hold a higher qualfication, then only select that. Ie, if you hold DSC2 then only select that.

This is to try and gauge what level of qualifications the forum holds.

Thanks

Personanly, I don't think you can "rank" the qualifications as such..For instance, If an FLo was going to interview me with regards a variation for stalking, I would expect him to have a DMQ1 but perhaps not a DMQ2 or the Advanced Stalker Qualification..

quals

This has nothing to do with FLO's, it has been put up to gauge the qualifications of the members on this site.

If FLO's decide to use these quals as a benchmark for variations then that is up to them, albeit probably illegal because there is nothing stated in law just now (that I know of) that says you need any of these quals for a licence or variation.

Re: quals

Quote Originally Posted by jingzy
    If FLO's decide to use these quals as a benchmark for variations then that is up to them, albeit probably illegal because there is nothing stated in law just now (that I know of) that says you need any of these quals for a licence or variation.
    I didn't say that...I implied that if an FLO was going to be in a position to grant a variation to allow stalking, it might be reasonable that *he* held a DMQ 1 (to demonstrate he knows what he is talking about) but not perhaps a DMQ2 because he has no requirement in his job to actually go out and cull and gralloch a deer...So, the DMQ1 might be a relevant qualification for an FLO to hold, but not the DMQ2..

I used the example of an FLO, but the same might apply to others, my contention being that you can't simply rank the qualifications which is what you asked people to do in your first post of this thread..

Plus what about other Deer Management Qualifications?

I can think of at least four others that you haven't included in the Poll..

Very interesting Pete. The fact that these are the most up to date and contentious qualifications, then I feel that is all that is important.

I didn't rank them, I just put them in an order. If you hold a DSC 1 and 2, and you put in DSC 1 first, you cannot then poll that you have a DSC 2.

If you are not happy with the poll, then start your own and dont look at this one again.

"I implied that if an FLO was going to be in a position to grant a variation to allow stalking, it might be reasonable that *he* held a DMQ 1 (to demonstrate he knows what he is talking about) but not perhaps a DMQ2 because he has no requirement in his job to actually go out and cull and gralloch a deer"

If you were looking to get a variation for stalking, then you are planning to shoot deer..... or am I missing something! If you shoot deer, you generally gralloch them....do you not. If you have the DSC 1 you have the meat handling side of it anyway.

Re: quals

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E
    Quote Originally Posted by jingzy
    I didn't say that...I implied that if an FLO was going to be in a position to grant a variation to allow stalking, it might be reasonable that *he* held a DMQ 1 (to demonstrate he knows what he is talking about) but not perhaps a DMQ2 because he has no requirement in his job to actually go out and cull and gralloch a deer...So, the DMQ1 might be a relevant qualification for an FLO to hold, but not the DMQ2..

I used the example of an FLO, but the same might apply to others, my contention being that you can't simply rank the qualifications which is what you asked people to do in your first post of this thread..

Plus what about other Deer Management Qualifications?

I can think of at least four others that you haven't included in the Poll..
    This is a very good point. A few years ago I was talking to a FLO who thought that all deer stalking took place on estates inside enclosures and that there were no deer roaming wild. This was sat in a police station with around 500 wild deer located within 5 miles of it.

I have no qualification but just over 20 years experience and the professional stalkers on whose ground I stalk have been content to let me stalk unaccompanied for the last 18 years.