Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carcass Inspection & DSC Level 1

Carcass Inspection & DSC Level 1

Hi everyone,

What does everyone think about doing DSC Level 1 (Including the meat hygiene)? Is it really enough to 'qualify' someone to inspect the organs of a carcass to go into the food chain? Personally I don't think so!

Everyone who passes DSCL1 now, and completes the meat hygiene questions - which aren't particularly difficult - comes out as a 'TRAINED HUNTER', and so is qualified to inspect a carcass to go into the food chain.

I am sure many people will agree with me that it is entirely possible for an individual to pass DSCL1 without even having seen a live deer, let alone shot one and inspected it.

My own personal feeling is that DSCL1 including meat hygiene is simply not enough to qualify someone to inspect a carcass. I think that the actual 'qualification' should be something that is attached to DSCL2. At least then it would be based on the individual ACTUALLY inspecting a carcass - hands on!

I'd be interested to hear your views.

Regards,

Mike
    (Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer- Committed to excellence

did the meat hygene in a village hall with 30+ people nobody failed, either a great teacher or to simple to fail, guess which one it was.

quite, but i see on your website that you are quite happy to take 280 quid of somebodies hard earned money to train them to NOT be able to inspect a shot carcass?
    regards, Jez( currently in the middle of DSC1, next days learning starts with the gralloch and inspection of a freshly shot beast may i add..)
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    quite, but i see on your website that you are quite happy to take 280 quid of somebodies hard earned money to train them to NOT be able to inspect a shot carcass?
    regards, Jez( currently in the middle of DSC1, next days learning starts with the gralloch and inspection of a freshly shot beast may i add..)
    CTFD Jez!!! ........ It's part of the DSCL1, so naturally guys are gonna do it. I don't charge any more for it either. For your information, I actually do train people to be able to do this task properly as part of our DSCL2 training, and many of our DSCL1 guys are happy to take up that opportunity. It's up to them at the end of the day, and most of the DSCL1 candidates are actually in agreement with me on this.

So you are actually going to do the gralloch, yes? .......... I doubt it! So in my opinion, you watching a gralloch, watching a DVD with a gralloch qualifies you does it???? ............ I don't think so! No more than me watching someone fly a plane, and then claiming to be a pilot!

Best of luck with your DSCL1

Regards Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    did the meat hygene in a village hall with 30+ people nobody failed, either a great teacher or to simple to fail, guess which one it was.
    Hmmmmmm .................. You got me there Taff!

so the bds do not train people correctly? and for your information whether i actually do the gralloch on saturday or not is irrelevant as i have gralloched many deer and am fully competent at doing so, the guys giving the course will have a number of freshly shot beasts so candidates can actually do a gralloch themselves and inspect a carcass instead of 'just watching a dvd'.
    many thanks for your kind words of encouragement,
    all the best, Jez.
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by Pneudart View Post
    Everyone who passes DSCL1 now, and completes the meat hygiene questions - which aren't particularly difficult - comes out as a 'TRAINED HUNTER', and so is qualified to inspect a carcass to go into the food chain.

I am sure many people will agree with me that it is entirely possible for an individual to pass DSCL1 without even having seen a live deer, let alone shot one and inspected it.

My own personal feeling is that DSCL1 including meat hygiene is simply not enough to qualify someone to inspect a carcass. I think that the actual 'qualification' should be something that is attached to DSCL2. At least then it would be based on the individual ACTUALLY inspecting a carcass - hands on!
    ]
    I wonder how many L2's would know anymore than a L1 to a non L1 about abnormalities in deer that would prevent it going into the food chain and the bigger question is would they even recognise it
    Maybe we should all do a short meat inspectors course for 6 months at a reasonable cost of about 1500 and update it every 3 years at 300 ago
    But on a more realistic note how many carcasses hav you ever condemed and could you tell that just by looking at it or did you need to think about it first
    secondly how many people a year fall ill from eating venison in this country which goes through the current system and not off the back of stinky Pete's lorry

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    quite, but i see on your website that you are quite happy to take 280 quid of somebodies hard earned money to train them to NOT be able to inspect a shot carcass?..........

I don't think you can blame the teacher for having a crap syllabus, Mike runs a good course, with great personal assistance for a competetive price.

I have similar feelings to Mike's initial post and gave feedback to that effect after a recent (Hopefully succesful) DSC1 course with Jelen.

Kyle
    Last edited by rarms; 04-04-2011 at 18:55.

Account Suspended
    Is doing a gralloch ripping the guts out of something ,then having a quick gander at it?

Personally I dont think there is enough detail.

I think candidates should witness the examination of different stages of diseased animals so that they can positively identify what to look for as compared to a carcass thats free of disease.

Photos are ok to some extent but in my view only gives a rough idea of their being something not right.

As regards qualifications only being shown what to look for in my view is suffice.
    Although I have DSC1 DSC1 Woodlands Stalking Cert Lantra Large and small game which i would recomend over DSC1 as the course is more intense and instructive
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 04-04-2011 at 19:06.

I know what you are saying mike.

I passed my dsc 1 in 3 hours (total time), i did the assessments then on to the range passed with flying colours, so on paper im dsc1 qualified/trained hunter.
    And before anyboby says it i did not buy the dsc1 ,i did it under exam conditions.

I find the stalking part no problem but i struggle abit with the gralloch even though iam trained on paper that does not mean i can do gralloching to a good standard, i need practice on it before level 2.

ATB
    Dave