Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: xxx

Sounds very much like the German Jager? type training, might work but folk are quite fickle creatures, if it was made an interesting experience it may well have a chance.
    Only problem I foresee is that most people have limited leisure time and often only want to go out on rifle related outings, and would not be so keen on mediocre tasks.

Sounds great. Provided qualified stalkers are paid in accordance with what amounts to a professional qualification ~ and there's no reason they shouldn't be. Bring it on. I'll be on the first flight north from Stansted!

Reminds me very closely of a professional training scheme, you only forgot the life long learning requirement for attendance at courses etc to keep up to date with development over time.

Apologies, I miunderstood (but I would say it would work on the basis of paid professional stalkers.

If there's enough qualified stalkers for the amount of ground involved and a sufficient level of communication and organisation it would work on a pro - bono basis. Your suggestion doesn't seem wholly dis-similar to a stalking and training scheme that I have read about else where.

The MOD system of Deer Management is very similar.

To manage the UK's wild deer population you need a national deer management plan. Can't see that happening.

A thing that always worries me when these idea's are put forward is where do these trainers come from in the first place.

Iv'e taken out a couple of DSC2 holders who will never be deer managers all the time they have a hole in there arse. I remember taking out a St Hubert club instructor stalking many years ago. Don't like to think what he was teaching would be stalkers.

What next HND, BSc in deer management before someone can go deer stalking.

I would suggest that 300wsm has taken the majority of his ideas from the MOD.

Jagare - you already have a deer management plan as it is FC that is being talked about. It is in season, it has a mouth - cull.

J

Sorry 300wsm, but I dont think this would work. Although the concept is good I feel it has faults and where would the initial money come from to rent the ground?

No Deer to be culled unless the person pulling the trigger has DSC1.
    You cannot access FC ground now unless you have DSC 2.

The period a manager will be mentored for will depend on his knowledge experience, willingness to learn and interest in the less glamorous jobs of managing deer.
    Who makes the decision on what constitutes knowledge and experience?

Once at least 3 years has passed and the manager demonstrates he can take out 3 separate Deer Management trainers, guide and instruct them as he would a novice then they to can become a trainer.
    Who and what qualifies a person to be the initial trainers? 3 years is a long time if many outings are being taken. Surely if the person has come through the ranks with the mentors and trainers, then they should not have to prove themselves as they have already been taught to the Trainers standards.

Once A Trainer has done the Deer Managers Course then they can be asked to co-ordinate an area or forest for deer management, writting the cull plan etc.
    Now you are really sticking your neck out, it is apparent on other topics that many members on this forum dont recognise the DSC 2, but to throw fuel onto the fire and mention the Deer Managers Course.

A reasonable idea, but would require I think local administration, ie large syndicates set up around the country.

J