Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooting geese canadian

shooting geese canadian

im i legal to shoot geese (canadian) with my .222??

Depends on what is on your certificate .but it is legal to shoot canada geese under general license.I would be very careful as if your ticket just says foxes and does not include pests you could be on a sticky wicket especially if a birdie sees you.

Quote Originally Posted by gonefoxin View Post
    im i legal to shoot geese (canadian) with my .222??
    Technically no. Not unless its on your ticket and you have tried all other means of removing them from the area. Its quite clear in the general licence. Do a search on this site, its been covered before. ATB Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Technically no. Not unless its on your ticket and you have tried all other means of removing them from the area. Its quite clear in the general licence. Do a search on this site, its been covered before. ATB Steve
    Again not quiet true, , the wording in the english general licence this year has changed slightly, now the land owner need only be satisfied that all other scare tactics will not work, something along those lines. It used to be scare tactics employed first.

ali

Actual wording
    These conditions include the requirement that the user must be satisfied that legal (including non-lethal) methods of resolving the problem are ineffective or impracticable.
    Last edited by aliS; 05-04-2011 at 21:53.

Splitting hairs here, but central science laboratory has decreed .223 to be the requisite arm for Canada's under the licensing mentioned above.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

If you need to get the Geese of a field, just walk into the field with a shotgun and fire a couple of shots over their heads.
    They will go, just repeat as required.

Unfortunately there are people out there (another forum) who shoot Canadas out of season, just because they want to shoot Geese, and the GL is the only excuse they need.

In my area, the numbers have dropped over the last few years because of this.
    We used to have around 2500, last season we were down to around 500, this is because they were put on the GL, and were considered "fair game" by some.

Brian

(With his Wildfowlers hat on)

Hi myself and a mate were asked to shoot some canadas recently,so to be absolutely certain we spoke to basc, yes if you have vermin on your ticket you can use a rifle so i used the .22 hornet as i have vermin on my ticket with the hornet but not the .243 just deer and fox,however be warned if you use a shotgun you MUST use none toxic shot,get cought with lead goodbye ticket, but its ok to use lead bullets hope this helps, HORNET

Quote Originally Posted by The Croc View Post
    the GL is the only excuse they need.

In my area, the numbers have dropped over the last few years because of this.
    )
    Just goes to show the general licenses can work then. After all, they are a mechanism to reduce the numbers of what has become a nuisance species.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Harry
    There are a lot of birds that cause problems, Brent, Cormorants, to name two, if there is a problem, you apply for a licence which is normally granted and your given a total number of birds you are allowed to take. You can only shoot X number of birds on the piece of ground where the problem is.

Canadas were not given that status, which we think they should have.
    We don't disagree that they can be a problem in certain areas, as above Special Licence, job done.

Not the free for all we have now, with people deciding, I've got nothing to shoot this weekend, "I know lets go and shoot some Canadas out of season"

We are actively trying to get them on Special Licence and of the GL

Oh and they weren't causing that much of a problem down here

Brian
    Last edited by The Croc; 07-04-2011 at 07:44.

Hi, what about greylags? i have my .223 down for vermin control on my ticket. can i shoot them out of season on a general license?