Thread: velvet heads

velvet heads

What's the general consensus for mounting heads that have been shot in velvet? Strip and clean as normal then get the potassium permangonate, out or can they be mounted in velvet? I presume there would be a smell attached to the latter

Quote Originally Posted by Treacle Trackpad View Post
    What's the general consensus for mounting heads that have been shot in velvet? Strip and clean as normal then get the potassium permangonate, out or can they be mounted in velvet? I presume there would be a smell attached to the latter
    Velvet heads can be mounted just as you say, though the potassium permanganate, does not look natural on its own. Or you can treat the velvet. Pic of a Roe buck in velvet that I recently mounted .
    Last edited by Bill Bartlett; 06-04-2011 at 18:08.

Thanks for through reply, nice mount by the way. How would I go about treating the velvet?

velvet antlers

Quote Originally Posted by Treacle Trackpad View Post
    Thanks for through reply, nice mount by the way. How would I go about treating the velvet?
    You can rub Borax into the velvet or use a preservative from Snowdonia taxidermy Services, which you can inject if still soft or saturate the antlers with it. Formalin subsitute (safer) will all work.

formaldahide injected or left to soak into the velvet i believe works although ive not done it myself but used to do pigeons for decoying with it !!!