Thread: Sending stuff Royal Mail???

Sending stuff Royal Mail???

A short heads up here, If you send someone a package using the "guaranteed", by 1pm next day service, just make sure when having your labels printed at the P.O. , that the postcode is actually recognised as an address, I sent a parcel down to Dorset using this "service", & it arrived on the Wednesday, instead of theTuesday, excuse from the "customer help line" being," the postcode wasn't recognised by our system" So whose idea was the postcode system then ?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    "customer help line" being," the postcode wasn't recognised by our system" So whose idea was the postcode system then ?
    Funny, but frustrating, you should ask for your money back or the difference between next day and second class as you paid for a service and never received it, that is not your fault, it's their fault.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

i know all to well this happens and the main reason why is the person on the desk! eg if the post code is we shall say s19 obl and they type the "o" as zero! "0" it will come up as "not recognised!!" there are some counter staff that will override this without asking you thinking well it must be right but may not be in the system yet as a new build etc!..so yes you are correct! make sure they have the post code correct before you leave the counter!!

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Funny, but frustrating, you should ask for your money back or the difference between next day and second class as you paid for a service and never received it, that is not your fault, it's their fault.

TJ
    yes a special delivery is money back guarantee if not on time and a P739 is not left!!

Unfortunately,as they have already told me, the code was not recognised , so T**gh T*tty.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Post codes are very odd. I check with the following link before I send any packages.

http://postcode.postoffice.co.uk/por...catId=20700386

However, the oddest experience was sending a recorded letter to my Dad. He hasn't moved for at least 15 years and I know his post code off by heart. However, I couldn't send the last recorded letter to him as he had been removed from the Post Code list. He followed this up with the postie and is now back on the Post Code database.

Regards JCS

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steyr View Post
    i know all to well this happens and the main reason why is the person on the desk! eg if the post code is we shall say s19 obl and they type the "o" as zero! "0" it will come up as "not recognised!!" there are some counter staff that will override this without asking you thinking well it must be right but may not be in the system yet as a new build etc!..so yes you are correct! make sure they have the post code correct before you leave the counter!!
    I'm pretty sure it's the other way round, but the point is valid. People do mis-type them into systems and it's very frustrating. It's also the case that new postcodes appear everyday, so if their PAF file isn't up to date, then it's a chocolate fireguard. Defo complain again Finnbear.
    Post codes all have the format L(L)N(N) NLL where L is letter of alphabet and N is number 0-9. The second number and letter in the first part of the code indicating the main postal district may not be present depending on where the place is - in Steyr's example, S is the Sheffield postal region, 19 being the area near Sheffield Rail Station and the remainder getting to the road and property within a number or two.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Unfortunately,as they have already told me, the code was not recognised , so T**gh T*tty.
    having worked for royal mail i can tell you they are at fault and you are entitled to a full refund of the postage cost!.. IF.. they accept your item "special delivery GUARANTEED!! next day/1PM" (what you've paid for!!!) then YOU! are entitled to a refund!!...what they should have done is when they typed in the postal address (not just to print the label but to put it in the system!!) and it came up as not recognised!!... told you and advised of an alternative way to post it..ie first recorded/insured etc..they should have not overridden the system..taken your money for this service that they've known that they could NOT!! guarantee!

Our next day guarantee

Because we know how important your package is, we guarantee we’ll deliver your Special Delivery™ Next Day item before 1.00pm the next working day or we’ll refund your money.
    This guarantee does not apply if:

• We were unable to deliver the item because there was no-one to sign for your item
    • The delivery address is in an area of the UK where we do not guarantee next day delivery
    • We do not guarantee the delivery time for items to an address for which a person has paid for our redirection services. The item will be forwarded to the new address using Special Delivery but the money back guarantee does not apply

there you go..1/ a p739 is needed!!(no one in!!)..2/ eg shetlands!! 3/ a re-direct!!......yours was none of the above

Well the "nice" lady on the other end of the phone, (when I finally got past their camelthorn enabled website) insisted I was out of luck.