Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do we need moa or lower rifles

do we need moa or lower rifles

i am willing to be educated here but it seems a lot of the sales pitch on new rifles is done on moa or better and lots of the disscusions are striving to get a "tack driver" either by reloading or beding etc. but do we really need it.

yes i would like a rifle that puts shot on top of shot but in the real world i would fail it and i feel that i would prefer a rifle that is consistant and reliable over ultimate accuracy. i have only ever been able to afford second hand rifles and the most expensive of those was 425 so all the rpa and blasers are just out of the question

your thoughts please

pj

Only if you plan to stalk off a bench with the rifle in a clamp.

I can't get moa off sticks.... can you?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Excellent question which will I am sure get many answers, my own tends to agree with you consistency being the more important factor sure its nice to shoot a clover leaf size group at paper (this being a very rare occurence for me anyways) I do how ever have a rifle that will shoot consistently which gives me more than enough confidence when it comes to taking on live quarry.

pj

It depends what you are pursuing. I quite happily shot red deer in the '90s with 2.5 MOA Rugers. Once I started pursuing roe deer in 1999, I found that I didn't have the right tools for the job any more and started the expensive journey that has resulted in the two rifles in my gallery. I find making a neat and tidy job of a 5 kg roe deer a lot more challenging than shooting a 273 lb stag.

I guess I am getting quite close to where I want to be now with both rifles. My focus is now on practice and getting out stalking as often as I can.

Rgds JCS

In my opinion, its not about what YOU can do...well, yes it is, but it STARTS with the rifle...

Ie. a rifle that cannot shoot MOA, means at 200yds, it cannot put 3 rounds in a 2" circle, say it can do 2.5" - well that's just fine for putting down any game I know of...However, THEN put in the human error, and if that is 2"s at 200yds, you're then 4.5"s off mark,,which if backwards, equals a gut shot...if the rifle was perfectly on target and shot 1/2 MOA, you'd be only around 2"s off given the above scenario, and you'd have deer going down, as opposed to a deer stumbling away with its back haunched over....just my thoughts.....but then again, I'm an accuracy nerd

I'm a wee bit lost here????

Is accuracy in being able to shoot a clover leaf group time after time not the same as consistency? Is there a factory rifle out there that cannot be relied upon to be mechanically sound, if that is what you mean by consistent, or lack of?

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post

Is accuracy in being able to shoot a clover leaf group time after time not the same as consistency? Is there a factory rifle out there that cannot be relied upon to be mechanically sound, if that is what you mean by consistent, or lack of?
    Not sure if I'm getting your question wrong, but yeah, there are plenty of factory rifles which are not mechanically consistent, due to excess space around the recoil lug, poor quality barrel floatation, etc. you could in theory have a guy shooting hole-in-hole but the bullets not ending anywhere near MOA on the paper, just because of the rifle issues (usually bedding/stock related)...which is all over come by having either a quality rifle (Sako, Blaser, Sauer, etc.) or a proper bedding job on an ok rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post

I think what he's trying to say is, it's better to have a rifle that will shoot 2" groups all day, every day, than one which will shoot a 1" group one day and a 3" group the next for whatever reason.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

yes thanks harry mac thats what i mean. i wondered when i typed it if it made sense.

i also wondered if someone would post about longer ranges and how a rifle shooting 2 inch at 100 yds would be way off at 200. so thankyou its nice to have figures to put to the theory.
    i can see how if i was consistantly shooting around 200 yards then i would want an ultra accurate rifle. but my reallity is that i would very rarely shoot beyond 150 yds and would strive to get much closer. i realise that on the open hill that getting closer is not an option but down here in the south east its generaly much shorter ranges.
    maybe i should have given a little more info on my situation.
    i had to sell my 222 and 243 to get my 308 and if i had to pay for stalking i would not be doing it at all. so i have fairly basic but good kit and unfortunatly cant afford top notch rifles.
    when looking at my .22 rimfire (cz) a good few years ago i wasnt sure weather to get it as i had heard that they were not that good (i guess compared to something costing 4 times as much). at the time there was a gentleman in the shop who said that if he was in a muddy hole in africa with something dangerous running towards him he would prefer a cz over many rifles as it would be sure to close and fire however dirty it was compared to a more refined rifle.
    guess this is what i was getting at when i said reliable. i know i could get a new remington for a little more than my second hand parker hale but plastic isnt my thing.

i think in reality in the Field shooting off sticks at a deer at 100yds away apx,..any rifle will out shoot the shooter!.. whether it will do 1/2"..1"..2 or 3" groups, the deer will still die quickly!!