Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Buying Advise

Reloading Buying Advise

Went to my local shop to enquire about reloading equipment and what I needed as a new starter, the list below is what the shop recommended to me and not doubting his advise but could you have a look through to see if there is anything I don't really need or if there's anything missing, I want to keep costs down but not losing the ability to make consistent ammunition also is there any data books that you could recommend for 6.5X55 ammunition.

Kindest regards
    Garry

LEE BREECH LOCK CHALLENGER KIT w/BREECH LOCK PRESS

LEE 6.5MMx55 CASE LENGTH GAUGE & SHELLHOLDER

LEE 6.5MMx55 MAUSER 3 DIE SET w/FACT. CRIMP, S/H #3

FRANKF'D ELECTRONIC CALIPER S/S, 0.001" INCL CASE

K&M MASTER FLASH HOLE UNIFORMER,.080

HORNADY OAL GA. STRAIGHT BOLT ACTION & SINGLE SHOT

HORNADY 6.5x55 MAUSER MODIFIED CASE

HORNADY COMPARATOR BODY ONLY

HORNADY COMPARATOR #5 .264" INSERT

HORNADY HEADSPACE BUSHING .375"

FRANKF'D UNIVERSAL CASE LOADING TRAY

Wowsers! Someone wants to earn some money off you mate! ha ha ha...

How much are you planning to reload? is it 100 rounds pa, 500, or 1000? I think the 'scale' will dictate how much equipment you should invest in from inception.

I personally have started with Lee Classic Loader 25, Digital Calipers off ebay 10, Digital Scales off ebay 7, Lee primer pocket cleaner off Ebay 2.50, Lee Deburring tool off Ebay 2.50. Rubber mallet from local store 3.50. Powder funnel 0 (rolled up piece of note paper with some tape to hold together).

With the above, some CCI Large Rifle primers, 1lb Varget, 100 Hornday BTHP's and my old brass, I am now reloading for less than 125. Results, well, just over 1/4" at 100yds, with holes touching in a neat clover-leaf.

I will probably be reloading 100 to 200 rounds a year for the .243 using this system, and it's perfectly adequate for that...just depends how much you're wanting to spend, and how 'professional' you want to keep the operation.

Edit - Norma are IMHO the 'masters' of the 6.5x55 class - might be worth using their site/books/data
    Last edited by PKL; 07-04-2011 at 09:29.

Case mouth de- burr tool, couple of quid, a good comprehensive reloading manual is an absolute must! no comment on the rest of the list.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Gary, why not make the effort to find the nearest established reloader in your neck of the woods, & see if he or she will give you a little guidance for real?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks guys, half of the equipment on the list I had to Google! had no idea what they were:oops if there is anybody in the Derby area that could offer me some advice and practical inside into reloading would be very much appreciated,

Garry

Garry,

What is your objective with reloading, cost reduction, accuracy, the fun of it, access to better bullets for your chosen quarry, consistency of performance, access to the same ammo without having to rely on your RFD, etc?

Just curious...

reloading to me is like fly-tying...

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Garry,

What is your objective with reloading, cost reduction, accuracy, the fun of it, access to better bullets for your chosen quarry, consistency of performance, access to the same ammo without having to rely on your RFD, etc?

Just curious...

reloading to me is like fly-tying...
    To be honest all the above but cost does play a big part,

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by GarryS View Post
    To be honest all the above but cost does play a big part,

Garry
    Question, how much do you shoot, and are you planning to reload for more than one calibre? Also, what is your 'desired' budget to spend on reloading gear, as I think there are better priced options than getting your local shopt to put a package together for you from what they have in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Question, how much do you shoot, and are you planning to reload for more than one calibre? Also, what is your 'desired' budget to spend on reloading gear, as I think there are better priced options than getting your local shopt to put a package together for you from what they have in stock.
    I will be loading only one calibre and as for the amount of use would be stalking and I enjoy going down to the local zeroing range, my decided budget is the least outlay to produce a round I can be confident with,
    Garry

Must be someone competent to help in Derby, bloody big place isn't it?