How do you deal with deer in this situation

6pointer

Many eyes are on you the back stop is not great then you have got to get the deer off safe with out up setting any one. One shot one kill is the order of the day so how do you decide what deer to take regards dependant,s in the doe season. What if the doe has to buck kids how do you deal with that type of sinario,:eek:

7-3-2013.jpg

Many eyes are on you?... Do you mean the people looking out of the windows of the houses?

Surely this is a wind up :-|

Wouldn't even entertain it, not worth the discussion with the plod with someone seeing you with a gun..

IMHO,

T

Let someone else do it.
I can always walk away from this sort of thing.
"Its not my problem" and shrug my shoulders would be my stand i'm afraid.
Surely those deer can be found away from those houses at sometime?
If not what harm are the actually doing??
O.k there will be at sometime arable crops planted but what is the reasons for the cull to start with??
I am honestly curious.
Joking aside rather you than me matey nothing to do with safety just joe public, I honestly would shy away from the job.
Now if it were a field or two further off I may consider the job.

surprised these have not fell victim to the dog lads being that close and obviously well known to the locals??

I wouldn't be paying into that syndicate next year! You should have walked the ground first before coughing up the money. In saying that there is still hope - you can always wait until the Jeremy Kyle show is on and the streets are empty. Then you can use the empty Buckfast bottles as a backstop and be in and out with a deer with no one seeing you.

I wouldn't be paying into that syndicate next year! You should have walked the ground first before coughing up the money. In saying that there is still hope - you can always wait until the Jeremy Kyle show is on and the streets are empty. Then you can use the empty Buckfast bottles as a backstop and be in and out with a deer with no one seeing you.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::D

Not as impossible as it looks. My witnessed stalk was taken within 200m of these deer and the aborted first stalk would probably be these same deer higher right disturbed by the buck and doe. The deer are in a shootable position but certainly not from the possition of the photo. Upper right gives you a safe backstop and you are screened from the houses. You have to accept that periurban deer management is a fact of life with houses up to the agricultural land. Sound moderator a necessity. Clean kill required. Safety concious at all times and remove deer from locality before gralloch. Remove all evidence, As you see the photo is taken from the ploughing. The crops require protection. What you cannot see is the feild of grain (think back to the safe backstop debate.) that 6pointer also has a duty to protect. Planning and execution has a few more elements than a normal forest stalk but it can be done and actually has to be done. As to the question shoot the buck kids first probably not in one outing but as the resident doe you could argue you are coming back for the doe later. To leave the kids they would be easy prey for the doggie boy brigade known to work the area.
PS this was the same walk the buck and doe took until she got to a shootable position. We had to watch and wait. Often wondered what would be said in someone spotted two men hunkered down behind a wall watching the back windows of houses at getty-up time in the morning through binoculars. Happy Memories.

Last edited:
Not as impossible as it looks. My witnessed stalk was taken within 200m of these deer and the aborted first stalk would probably be these same deer higher right disturbed by the buck and doe. The deer are in a shootable position but certainly not from the possition of the photo. Upper right gives you a safe backstop and you are screened from the houses. You have to accept that periurban deer management is a fact of life with houses up to the agricultural land. Sound moderator a necessity. Clean kill required. Safety concious at all times and remove deer from locality before gralloch. Remove all evidence, As you see the photo is taken from the ploughing. The crops require protection. What you cannot see is the feild of grain (think back to the safe backstop debate.) that 6pointer also has a duty to protect. Planning and execution has a few more elements than a normal forest stalk but it can be done and actually has to be done. As to the question shoot the buck kids first probably not in one outing but as the resident doe you could argue you are coming back for the doe later. To leave the kids they would be easy prey for the doggie boy brigade known to work the area.
PS this was the same walk the buck and doe took until she got to a shootable position. We had to watch and wait. Often wondered what would be said in someone spotted two men hunkered down behind a wall watching the back windows of houses at getty-up time in the morning through binoculars. Happy Memories.

You may have a backstop but what if a round exists the beast at an angle ie 90 deg to entry, not unheard of. That could then sent it in to the houses.

Its a walk away situation for anybody with common sense.

Steve

May i first say this is not a wind up and it is were most of my deer stalking is carried out at the momment. WARDY if a round comes out at 90 deg we had all beter stop shooting. First of all the wait is important not a job for some on on a price per head. Then just a little thought can get you in there avoid conflict (BELIEVE ME THERE WOULD BE CONFLICT):lol:. First of all wait for that all important safe shot the deer will still be near the house but the bullet will be going in to the ground. Shoot one deer only and lie down wait and wait again the other deer move off and i so do i back to my car. I get my nice hat on and change my jacket for a bright blue one and stick the dog on a lead and take a walk. On reaching the deer its Roe back off in a flash full deer in draw cord and away. If its an evening stalk i just wait till it gets dark. I know its not every bodys cup of tea but i have remove many deer from there and up to this moment Touch wood i have not been seen doing it.;)

A buck feeding into a safe zone these were identified during a risk assessment. There were more risks than assessments.

Jim is bang on and sometimes its the unknown that puts you off i feel there will be more of this type of deer management in the future and it will need done by some one.

Juneperimanagement012buildings.jpg

Taken to a safe place to load into sack

RUTON30TH010-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back