Rifle stock from the states?

yetidude69

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have experience of bringing back a synthetic stock from the USA? Is there any restrictions? I'm getting conflicting info from various companies over there!
Cheers J

I've never hand carried one, but ordering direct from McMillan has never been a problem, I ve done that 3 times, most recent was last summer. Same story with Manners.. no problem at all

I don't know if stocks have recently been added to the 'Restricted List'...

P

Last edited:
Hi All
Ihave brought plastic and laminate stocks back in my checked luggage also ammunition, bullets, knifes, scopes, reloading kit and 5 yrs ago my remington model 7 243 rifle i have had my cases opened an searched on every occasion and nobody has ever batted an eyelid the only problem i have ever had was they removed some bore cleaner and left a note saying it had been removed because it was flammable
Geordie

They maybe restricted but how comes members on here buy them from Boyds Stocks, It would appear that as he sells them for less than 100 dollars there are no issues with an export licence as it falls below the magic figure of 100 dollars, good post be interesting to see the outome.

I have also brought back bullet heads and ammo and accessories and have had no problems either just declared it at heathrow then rung my FSEL dept and sent a letter explaining what I had done and entered the amount on my certificate, they were not to happy the first time I did it but have been fine ever since.

Last edited:
patjack you aren't saying that you have brought back powder on an aircraft are you?

The rules have really tightened up over the last couple of years. :(

Some of the suppliers in the USA have got all the correct export licenses, so you can get them to ship to you. Personally carrying stuff back is possible but only legal now if you want to go through all the hoops of getting a licenses yourself.

I am in the USA right now, had been hoping to come back with goodies but have decided to keep it to the safer stuff that falls outside these rules. There was a recent thread on another board all about this, and one person took the trouble to engage in a series of correspondence with the relevant US Gov department and they gave him a lot of guidance on this matter. He then published the whole lot for us to wade through.

You could take a chance, try your luck, but you could end up in a lot of trouble!

why would a stock be restricted, it's a piece of plastic or wood? surely you can bring a stock in your checked luggage, and only fear customs duty being slapped on upon arrival in the UK? no?

In terms of bullets, I'd think you could bring them too, and add them onto your FAC manually..read - I'd think!

why would a stock be restricted, it's a piece of plastic or wood? surely you can bring a stock in your checked luggage, and only fear customs duty being slapped on upon arrival in the UK? no?

In terms of bullets, I'd think you could bring them too, and add them onto your FAC manually..read - I'd think!

Sorry, but no! :(

8X57 what was I thinking of cause I have not brought back powder but whats the difference between ammo and powder, I have read the airline rules etc and as long as its in a secure box and handed in at customs there seems to be no problem and then collected at customs in the uk the look at you FAC and you are on your way, maybe I have always been lucky? maybe you know the new laws and would be so kind to enlighten everyone and clear up a matter with lots of Grey areas, atb P...

Be careful not to confuse the Airline rules with US Federal laws.

I cannot access the raft of stuff I have on this subject, or I would be glad to post it here. I did my homework before I flew out, and made the decision to play safe and buy non restricted items.

There is quite a difference between cartridges which can be legally carried and powder which is a substance that can not normally be carried on aircraft because of it's highly flammable nature. I wouldn't like to get caught trying to carry propellants on an aircraft, not that I would even consider it in the first place.

I personally brought a McMillan stock back from the US for my Sako 75 as checked luggage and never had a problem. Admittedly this was about 5 years ago, so I'd be interested to know how, if at all, the regulations have changed. As mentioned by other posters, a rifle stock is simply a piece of wood/laminate/plastic, etc, and as such has no inherent properties that would render it harmful, so I don't quite see how anyone could object?

By comparison, it can certainly be problematic these days to ask a company to export, or to personally bring back, a "tactical" scope. This is because of the somewhat vague ITAR (International Trade in Arms Regulations) rules that exist in the US. According to the US Munitions List (USML) export of scopes “manufactured to military specifications” is illegal without the relevant license. The problem is that there is no publically available list of those models of scope that fall into this category. This means that it is effectively left open to the interpretation of the individuals within the DDTC (Department of Defence Trade Controls) as to which scopes are of manufactured to military specification and which are not.

This is the reason why many of the Internet sites now refuse to export scopes at all, most noticeably Cabelas, though in their case they were hit with a $680k fine for just such an offence 3 years ago (see http://www.exportlawblog.com/archives/425).

I know, I need to get out more ;)

willie_gunn

Back