Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer in velvet

Deer in velvet

Hi, I got a buck yesterday,() which is still in velvet. The head on it isn't bad and I was just wondering how I get it clean for mounting on the wall? Is there any way of removing the velvet off the antlers?

On a slightly different note, I have cleaned up a couple of heads which I have found whilst I have been out for a walk. Obviously flies have been at the head but they turned out ok once cleaned. I have been told I could hang the head up a tree and the flies will clean it up. Although this isn't ideal will it work ok ?

Thanks in advance!!

Just scrap the velvet off then colour the antlers job done

The velvet should peel off with out too much problem, usually in one piece, except round the coronets, but this can be picked off easily after boiling out the head.

As for putting up a tree and let nature take care of it, i wouldn't recommend it if you want a nice presentable trophy, they usually go green which can be hard to get out and the connecting tissue between the bone sutures also rots away giving a loose rattling head, which can be easily glued together though, but you will never get them as white as boiling and bleaching.They can also go missing!

Best to boil it, scrap it then use hydrogen peroxide to bleach it, and try potassium permangenate to colour the antlers of your one one in velvet, you'll find previous posts on here about all aspect of cleaning off heads and colouring in Search.

Moose

Thank you very much for the replies! I really appreciate it!

I was half considering putting the head in the freezer and taking it to a taxidermist to boil for me. Is that likely to be spensif though? I don't mind paying a bit but if it is a fortune I'd rather do it myself

Do it your self mate just cut it through the eye socket and put in a pan scrap clean and bleach then stain down the Antlers with Pottasium cristals.

More satisfying doing it yourself, and not hard to do with a little practise.

Moose

Or keep the velvet on and use formalin (soaked and also injected) to preserve Why pretend it was something different from what you shot?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstag View Post
    Or keep the velvet on and use formalin (soaked and also injected) to preserve Why pretend it was something different from what you shot?
    Are you saying you've discovered the cure against hairloss?

CZ, as said do it yourself quite an easy task and you'll get better with practise without any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Are you saying you've discovered the cure against hairloss?
    Yes please, I could be doing with some of that if you get my drift. !!!!!

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

i just completed for a friend a bucks head in velvet, they do look smart in velvet to be honest and if possible leave it on...
    i will post the picture as he took it away to make love to it lol and i have not seen it since peroxide dried....

atb f