Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new comer 308 load

new comer 308 load

just bought a lee loader in 308, can you advise me of the best receipe you guys use on 308 for deer.

(1) bullet grain/type?

(2)which powder and how many grains of it. (im not sure how many grains the yellow scoop gives you in the kit ?)

(3) overall length of the finished product.

I know you can get very techincal when reloading but this is just to get me started thanks.

ATB
    Dave

You'll need to give a little bit more information such as the species of deer you intend to shoot as it's necessary to match the bullet to the deer. If you look at a similar thread with regard to .30-06 Grandhubert has just given a very good reply suggesting suitable bullets. The last bullets suggested are purely for target shooting and not for deer stalking.

If you look at the instructions that came with the reloader the dipper size will be shown along with the weight of various powders thrown with that dipper. If you don't have the instructions look on the Lee website or in the Lee reloading manual. Overall length is also indicated in the reloading manual.

Hi Dave

Knowing you already shoot 87 g from your 243 I would suggest going for a 150 g from the 308. You will have most things covered with those. I use 125 nosler bt but will go heavier next .

Atb Steve

I would use either the 130 grn Hornady or 150 grn Hornady SP for bullet choice. Powder what can you get locally easily then we can advise but suitalble powders are:-

Hodgdons:-
    BLC-2
    H335
    H380

Relaoder:-

IMR:-

Vhit:-
    N133
    N135
    N140

Let us know what you can get easily and reliably and someone will steer in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You'll need to give a little bit more information such as the species of deer you intend to shoot as it's necessary to match the bullet to the deer. If you look at a similar thread with regard to .30-06 Grandhubert has just given a very good reply suggesting suitable bullets. The last bullets suggested are purely for target shooting and not for deer stalking.

If you look at the instructions that came with the reloader the dipper size will be shown along with the weight of various powders thrown with that dipper. If you don't have the instructions look on the Lee website or in the Lee reloading manual. Overall length is also indicated in the reloading manual.

How very kind of you to say.

223, Please remember that the powder weights given in the other thread are for the 30.06, not your 308.

In the 308 I've had good luck with:

125gr Sierra SP prohunter, 51.8gr BL(C)-2 2.700" OAL Chrono 3170fps (Not for body shots on deer but hell on the foxes)

150gr Horandy 150gr BTSP 42.5gr H4895 2.810" OAL Estimated 2600fps (All round, low-meat damage, good trajectory, low pressure)

168gr Barnes TSX 45.5gr Varget 2.780" OAL Estimated 2700fps ( Achieves about as much as can be achieved from the cartridge, flat, hard hitting, good meat damage. Compressed load, use a long drop tube on the end you funnel,check seating depth carefully on loaded rounds and crimp if possible.)

These are safe in my rifle but approach with caution as some are around max.

You can't easily control powder weight with just one dipper, get a powder like H4895 which tolerates wide loading densities and shoot a good 150 grain bullet like the Hornady SP or BTSP,Sierraprohunter or gameking, Speer hotcor or BTSP, etc. etc.

The beauty of the 308 is that it is not super high velocity and most bullets will work if you can find the accuracy you need.

Invest in a set of dippers or better still a scale of some sort. Haunt the second hand section and pick up a beam balance if you can.

The OAL depends on your rifle and a given bullet, you will have to experiment to find what OAL suits what combination of powder and bullet.

Don't go longer than the magazine allows, unless you don't mind a single shot, and don't jam the bullet into the rifling if the magazine length allows you unless you enjoy the prospect of having the bullet left in the bore and powder all oever the action when you unload an unfired round.

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    just bought a lee loader in 308, can you advise me of the best receipe you guys use on 308 for deer.

(1) bullet grain/type?

(2)which powder and how many grains of it. (im not sure how many grains the yellow scoop gives you in the kit ?)

(3) overall length of the finished product.

I know you can get very techincal when reloading but this is just to get me started thanks.

ATB
    Dave
    Dave, didn't the kit have instructions? There should have been loading data included. That scoop will give different weights for different powders. Is it a Lee Reloading outfit? Or a Classic Loader? ~Muir

As Muir says there are probably a few basic things you need to get sorting out so worth doing some reading up and making sure you understand the process before you launch yourself into reloading.

In terms of bullets and powder take my advice and go for whatever you can get a regular supply of locally. This might sound silly but just wait until you've spent months working up a load to find your firearms dealer sucking his teeth and giving you the "that stuff is hard to come by, could be another year before I see any more of it." Then you work up another load with what he does have in stock and...

Roll on being able to buy bullets through the post, that will make a big difference for us all if it happens.

I would start with a 150 grain hornady sp or sst.
    For powder I would use reloader 15 or varget.

Ageed 150gr bullet with either Varget or N140 you should find a group around the 44-45 gr mark

Well. Another batch of earnest answers without addressing the problem he really has...which is not which powder or bullet to use. He is using a scoop for which he has no data, or at least he hasn't figured out yet that he has no option but to go with powders applicable to the use of that scoop, with that caliber. Once he gets that figured out, he will have his choices pretty much laid out for him, and he will probably choose a powder based on availability in his area... making even some good advise (at this stage) moot.~Muir