Thread: Daffodils

Daffodils

Do deer find dafodills unpalatable? The estate I stalk on holds a lot of muntjac and more than a few roe, cosequently, woodland flowers are not to be seen for very long once they show themselves. However dafodills are all over the place; so I take it deer don't like them then?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I know the bulbs are very poisonous to people due to alkaloid toxins, but not sure about the flowers? Most flower bulbs are toxic to humans but probably not to deer.
    I had a shooting friend who went into a toxic coma due to this. He used to get fish and chips with a pickled onion every friday night after work. Just after Christmas one year he collapsed in a toxic coma late one friday evening. Turns out his normal pickled onion was actually a pickled Daffodill bulb which had been harvested by mistake! Me and a couple of friends tried talking to him about shooting etc to try and bring him out but to no avail.
    They eventually tried a new technique pioneered by the Dutch. He was placed in a warm room by a big window where he got loads of natural sunlight. Thankfully he came out in the spring.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    They eventually tried a new technique pioneered by the Dutch. He was placed in a warm room by a big window where he got loads of natural sunlight. Thankfully he came out in the spring.
    MS
    Came out in the spring did he ? He was gay then was he ?
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple

Our goat will eat most things, but she eats round the daffodils, she got to the few tulips last week and eat the lot,

was always told goats and deer are very similar in eating habits,

Thanks for the info chaps, but, by Christ the comedy on here is dire
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.