Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Shooting Schedules

Olympic Shooting Schedules

Here is a link to the Olympic Shooting Schedules on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cmq5v/episodes/2008

Pretty awkward times as Beijing is 7 or 8 hours ahead of us. No doubt you can catch up on BBCi if you dont fancy wathcing rifle shootng at 5.00 am.

Regards.

Thanks for that Snowstorm. I see that there are a total 16 shooting events (men & women) yet 'Team GB' have a squad of only five shooters - four of whom are clay busters! No pistol representation at all - not even air pistol.

I can't see any mention of Mick Gault - any ideas why he isn't in the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country
    No pistol representation at all - not even air pistol.
    Not entirely surprising since they have to go abroad to practice. There is some talk of lifting the regulations a little otherwise it's going to be very embarrassing in 2012 when all the other countries can bring in their pistols to shoot but the UK team can't.

Personally, while the rest of us mere mortals are excluded from owning pistols for sport, I won't have anything to do with the Olympics, especially the forth coming ones in London 2012..

I actually think the British shooters who are taking part are hypocrites and I certainly won't contribute to any fund raising campaigns for them....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E
    Personally, while the rest of us mere mortals are excluded from own pistols for sport, I won't have anything to do with the Olympics, especially the forth coming ones in London 2012..

I actually think the British shooters who are taking part are hypocrites and I certainly won't contribute to any fund raising campaigns for them....
    Please could you elaberate on your coments ,I have a friend going to the paralympics.
    Jonathon

By competing in the Olympics the British shooters are effectively sanctioning the actions of successive British Governments who have prevented Joe Average from taking part in pistol shooting as a sport..

If British pistol shooters wish to train, they currently either have to train abroad or have a special dispensation from the Home Office...They should be ashamed to represent Great Britain while the Government continues to ban the sport at grass roots level...Far better that they carried the flag of the nation which actually allowed them to train...

Hard as it was to tear myself away from the GBR and German ladies playing field hockey soaked to skin in the pouring rain (being an ex-ice hockey player myself) I watched the Trap shooting.

Those blokes are quick! and there was some great slo mo footage of the clays being broken. You could see what I assume were individual raindrops being hit by pellets before they got to the clay and exploding into little puffs of steam.

Having shot clays in the pouring rain you don't need slo-mo to see that effect. When it is really tipping down the shot 'carves' a line through the rain.

As for supporting Olympic shooters I have some sympathy with Pete's view. Mind you. I guess you need really strong values if you are going to pass up the chance of an Olympic medal.

Personally, I believe the real culprit is the International Olympic Committee. The Charter requires all members to actively promote and enable participation in all Olympic sports. Not just a few, or those that are politically acceptable. By banning pistol shooting on the UK mainland our Government is in direct contravention of the Olympic Charter. Despite this the IOC drones still went ahead and agreed to London in 2012! It will be interesting to see how the Govt squirms out of the legal difficulties in four years time. Inevitably the media will collude as they did during the last Commonwealth Games. I think only one broadsheet made the observation that while foreigners from pretty despotic regimes could come to this Country and use pistols, our own people were denied the 'privilege'!

Of course there may well have been a change of Govt by then and I'm sure the new lot will immediately overturn the Hunting Act, the pistol prohibition, ID card proposals, DNA database fascism, useless CRB system and maybe even DCS 2 requirement on FC land?

Yeah, right! I'm not holding my breath........

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country
    As for supporting Olympic shooters I have some sympathy with Pete's view. Mind you. I guess you need really strong values if you are going to pass up the chance of an Olympic medal.

Personally, I believe the real culprit is the International Olympic Committee. The Charter requires all members to actively promote and enable participation in all Olympic sports. Not just a few, or those that are politically acceptable. By banning pistol shooting on the UK mainland our Government is in direct contravention of the Olympic Charter. Despite this the IOC drones still went ahead and agreed to London in 2012! It will be interesting to see how the Govt squirms out of the legal difficulties in four years time. Inevitably the media will collude as they did during the last Commonwealth Games. I think only one broadsheet made the observation that while foreigners from pretty despotic regimes could come to this Country and use pistols, our own people were denied the 'privilege'!
    Bandit Country,

Thank you, your post sums up the situation far better than I would have written it..

At the moment, it looks like the Government are going to build a brand new Shooting Facility in south London to host the shooting disciplines for the 2012 Games, and then demolish it afterwards? Thats hypocrisy on a huge scale!

I should add that while I have shot pistols in the past, I wasn't a pistol shooter at the time of the ban, but I was appalled at the way pistol shooters were hung out to dry by the Government and pretty much abandoned by the likes of the NRA ect...

Regards,

Peter

Simply a knee-jerk political decision. I fronted up Michael Howard (then Home Secretary) in the centre of Hereford during the 1997 election campaign on this very topic. He acknowledged the truth of my statement that it would make no difference to armed crime or the safety of the public and when asked why he was doing it he replied that "the public expect us to do something!"

Political expediency on a grand scale! Put that in context though. He was only banning pistols above .22 calibre. It is the current band of urchins that imposed a complete ban. Although it isn't exactly a complete ban as all you folk with pistols for humane despatch can testify. The way things are you will probably be our Olympic pistol team in 2012. As long as the target is prone on the ground and no more than three feet away you'll be in with a chance With a two shot capacity pistol you will need nimble fingers in the 25m rapid fire pistol - "two series of five shots within 4 seconds each".