Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why shooters should vote for AV

Thumbs up Why shooters should vote for AV

I heard somethng today that made me 'pretty annoyed', now this isn't an emotion normally associated with me.
    Allegedly (to reduce legal issues) a senior Minister, who may also be SoS for Education was asked at a recent social dinner why Bisley did not recieive support for 2012. The response was apparently two-fold; 1) politicians did not want a lasting legacy for shooting and 2) the Bisley estate, as it already has buildings on it, could be used to build houses (one presumes the residents will not be disturbed by the range symphony; to some this is noise to me it is music..) in the future if needed.

Incensed? Well, you should be. Not that you bright chaps didn't know this already but no politician cares about shooting, none of them. So what?

Well, glad you asked because....we have a vote coming up soon on AV, now I was against this BUT...
    With AV you could vote with your head (I/my family needs come first so default to party choce of ONLY three) AND vote with your heart (I really like shooting and want to protect it now, tomorrow and forever). You're having a laugh I hear you say!

Now we like examples, so how about this. Your local MP, when you write to them about your love of shooting and what are their views (try it some time it brings them out from cover) if they don't say 'yes' I support shooting', this means generally they will let the sport die in the grass if it suits their careers - it will suit BTW, that was a trick question. With AV, WE the shooting public left, middle and right of centre can set up our alternative party - call it what you will - and get the option to vote 1st (FIRST) for it under AV.

Now we have a some leverage. We can be dreaming to get a Commons seat, but a collective vote (and demonstration of support and intent) could be made UK wide; N,E, S and W of the borders. Half a million shooters are guranteed to have an impact because we get to vote for OURSELVES and OUR party beliefs.

So when we, typically, get let down by our respected coloured parties, we win some solice (even slight) for our head, with AV we get two choices - the benefit of which is we can vote with our head and heart. You get what's good (har har..) for the country AND what is good for you; furthermore, all of sudden the main parties are interested in YOU and your vote.

Of course it goes both ways and our oppressors could raise the game too, but that is a risk I would be prepared to take. For what is certain, from the SoS comments, the 2012 decision and much else, is that no party supports shooting and never will because it is too risky for them and we are dispersed as a vote.

So, if you have a bit of faith and some stones, think long and hard about voting for AV - it might be the only lifeline the sport has - you will have ONE chance.
    I toast you all, whatever your choice - I've fought for freedom and am not letting go of it.
    Can it be worse than what we have already?
    Last edited by RickoShay; 21-04-2011 at 20:04. Reason: Typos - again...
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

I think they had problems in Ireland with a similar system, the greens got in and tried to shut down all things hunting not that long ago!!!!
    Sinbad

I suspect many readers of this forum won't have the faintest idea of what you are talking about or what 'AV' is!
    You speak sense though, so here is a link to those confused:
    http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/article.php?id=55
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I suspect many readers of this forum won't have the faintest idea of what you are talking about or what 'AV' is!
    MS

Well,that's not the least bit patronising 'MS'................patronising.....'to talk down to....to treat as a lesser...etc etc.'

Hmmm while this system might......... might work that way. You can be damned sure the change is not meant to benefit us the normal voter. It's only to help thos corrupt saty i power.

As for Bisley well perhaps if the NRA actually did something to help the normal shooter and sportsman and not be so stuck up their own backside and only care about the SS target shooter perhaps they would have more members and some support. As it is their record on actually supporting shooting is bloody awful.. in 86 they actively helped the government gut shooting. Same in 92. Who paid to have the Running deer butt re-aligned. Who renovated the Time Limit range? Who built the benches and covered point on Short Siberia? not the NRA................... waste of bloody space the lot of them.

As for the debacle og the Commonwealth games and losing the Shorts range for that damned clay set up...................... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr don't they realise it's the National RIFLE Assocation not the shotgun mob.

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    Well,that's not the least bit patronising 'MS'................patronising.....'to talk down to....to treat as a lesser...etc etc.'
    Not meant to be patronising at all mate!
    I'm an educated man, but I didn't have the faintest idea what you were talking about until I googled it myself!
    I try to avoid politics as much as possible as it makes my pi55 boil!
    I suspect many SD users are the same?
    MS

Whats to stop "tree-huggers anonymous" setting up a similar group as their second vote?

There are sh*t load more impressionable/brainwashable 18 year old students/vegetarians out there than there are shooters!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    MS
    yep not got a clue what i,ve just read there??? stav

Quote Originally Posted by rarms View Post
    Whats to stop "tree-huggers anonymous" setting up a similar group as their second vote?

There are sh*t load more impressionable/brainwashable 18 year old students/vegetarians out there than there are shooters!
    This is the big threat with it - we could end up with these loonies having more influence than they already have. They have a HUGE amount of cash to spend, ($10 billion on man made warming PR in 10 years) to be honest in view of the cash they spend they are actually something of a failure. They have spent billions on the PR for the man made warming lie, for example, and if some of this cash was redirected towards getting elected then I think they could make a major impact.

While they may be somewhat incompetent at present, even if amazingly well funded, the worry always is that they get their act together and make some "progress." In saying that shooting will be the last of your worries when you are sitting in a mud hut eating grass while some lentil munching commie tells you how to live your life. The following caught my eye recently, for example and might be of passing interest:

While greens spent nearly $100 million over the past two years lobbying to pass their biggest prize of all — cap-and-trade legislation — Senate Democratic leaders probably lost votes during more than a year of negotiations and opted to not even hold a floor debate. In the coming weeks, House Republicans are planning to hold a vote to halt the Obama administration’s climate agenda. It’s a slam dunk to pass, with the only suspense being how many Democrats will side with Republicans. --Darren Samuelsohn, Politico, 30 March 2011

The greens’ political punch has grown weaker as their issues stay in the headlines, from California’s rolling blackouts a decade ago to last year’s Gulf of Mexico oil spill to more warnings about global warming. None of those have translated into political victories they can claim credit for. “I don’t understand how these guys, the funders, don’t ask for their money back or start suing for political incompetence,” a longtime Democratic strategist said of the Washington-based environmental movement. “You’re judged by how many campaigns you win, lose or come damn close. They haven’t gotten anywhere with that.” --Darren Samuelsohn, Politico, 30 March 2011

The only upshot of AV is that you are more likely to get independents and minority party candidates in marginal constituencies.
    Its a dumb system. If your going to change it, at least have the guts to examine it properly and have a referendum on the best system, not a compromise system. JMHO