First Buck of the new season

Well after 8 barren months since my first ever roe (not for the want of trying) I finally succeeded yesterday.:D

Left the motor at the edge of the permission and started the walk into the main stalking area.
15 minutes later and I'm at the edge of the open grass area and started glassing it when a noise came from the stand of trees to the left.
Out pops this buck not more than 50yds away and I'm stuck at the junction of three tracks in the open with no cover for more than 10yds in any direction!
There's no way I can lower the bino's, unsling my rifle, deploy the sticks and take shot without disturbing the buck so I remained absolutely still - years of playing musical statues with my girls finally paid dividend!
He has a look around including directly at me and then moves further out into the open (just goes to prove their eye sight relies on movement for dectecting danger).

As he moves further out into the open I move on what I think is a parallel line little realising he's moving on a diagonal line away from me.
He then stops to have a brash at the undergrowth with his antlers and grab a mouthful of grass.
At this point I take a rough guess at the distance as being about 85yds deploy the sticks and line up the crosshairs on the shoulder and pull the trigger.
The buck just collapsed on the spot with no further movement.
Turns out the shot took out the top of the lungs and the spine.
I'm chuffed too say the least as I checked the distance and found it to be 135yds.

IMG00138-20110409-0701.jpg

IMG00139-20110409-0702.jpg

A good result especiallly as it was off sticks!:)

From leaving the car to collecting the venison took 1hour 10minutes

A pity about the 8 months in between successful stalks but hey ho that's the way it goes.

All I need now is one of Poppins' sika sacks which I 've ordered.
Get well soon Poppins and I'll put the sack to good use

Almost got my own first of the season, but had to hold fire as it topped a rise with farm behind.

Well done!

Well done mate, it always makes it more worthwhile when you have put in lots of time.

Back