Thread: Good start

Good start

Took Milly out off the site this weekend for two stalks on Saturday. Beautiful weather and a great morning to be out.

Saw about 12 Roe, two master bucks both in the medal class so well pleased with the way the management plan is going. Followed shortly by a succesful kill on a reasonbale cull head.
    Evening time came and visited another area with a further result of buck from last year. Nearly had a Fallow Pricket on the way back home as we ran into a herd of Fallow.

So a good start for the season and another happy client. Look forward to meeting some of the newbies booked with me later in the season.

ATB

Sikamalc

Weres the picture Malc you no i cant read with out pictures .Well done to Milly and good guiding.

Well done Fred and Malc good start indeed
    Dave.

Nice going lads

Still a bit Deerish then Malc..

See you soo bud

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

I would like to say a big thank you to Sikamalc for a great couple of stalks. For any one who has not been out with Malcolm, the lease has a very nice mixture of broadleaf and coniferous woodland, with small and medium sized hedged fields. A bit of everything really and a great setup down in Sussex. I am told by those in the know, that I have only scratched the surface on the estate. I have no reason to doubt that the rest is as good as I have seen. I am not into shooting trophy heads myself but the two clean bucks Malcolm and I saw Saturday morning were very impressive.

Now I shoot to stock the freezer with meat, and as some others on here will testify, when I shoot a beast I hate to waste any of the carcass. (Has any body prepared deer tripes yet?) I took my first buck of the season on April 2nd with Mike (Jelen) and with the two I got with Malcolm on Saturday, I think that I now need a bigger freezer ;-)

I have not had access to a chiller to hang and mature the carcass to develope the full flavour of my quarry. Seeing Malcs chiller gave me an idea. I came straight back and went on Ebay. Luckily found a large larder fridge local to me and suitable for use. Won that for 10.50 on Sunday so another result. Cant wait to put it to good use.

Seemed a shame to waste the little six point antlers on the cull buck I shot as they are fairly compact and show some nice pearling. I have boiled and stripped them and will be making a couple of thumb sticks with them.

Thank's once again to Malcolm for a brilliant day out. I Look forward to more later in the year when the freezer has some space in it again

Fred

A good weekend then Milly by all accounts, It's what it is all about

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    I would like to say a big thank you to Sikamalc for a great couple of stalks. For any one who has not been out with Malcolm, the lease has a very nice mixture of broadleaf and coniferous woodland, with small and medium sized hedged fields. A bit of everything really and a great setup down in Sussex. I am told by those in the know, that I have only scratched the surface on the estate. I have no reason to doubt that the rest is as good as I have seen. I am not into shooting trophy heads myself but the two clean bucks Malcolm and I saw Saturday morning were very impressive.

Now I shoot to stock the freezer with meat, and as some others on here will testify, when I shoot a beast I hate to waste any of the carcass. (Has any body prepared deer tripes yet?) I took my first buck of the season on April 2nd with Mike (Jelen) and with the two I got with Malcolm on Saturday, I think that I now need a bigger freezer ;-)

I have not had access to a chiller to hang and mature the carcass to develope the full flavour of my quarry. Seeing Malcs chiller gave me an idea. I came straight back and went on Ebay. Luckily found a large larder fridge local to me and suitable for use. Won that for 10.50 on Sunday so another result. Cant wait to put it to good use.

Seemed a shame to waste the little six point antlers on the cull buck I shot as they are fairly compact and show some nice pearling. I have boiled and stripped them and will be making a couple of thumb sticks with them.

Thank's once again to Malcolm for a brilliant day out. I Look forward to more later in the year when the freezer has some space in it again

Fred
    I also hate to waste even a scrap of meat, but tripe.......thats just wrong

mike

I haven't used the tripe yet but there are recipes out there for deer puddings using the cleaned and washed stomach as the bag and there are recipes for haggis as well. Some people say that the best haggis(usually based on sheep) is made with deer liver. Haggis would also use up the heart, lungs, liver and kidneys as well, you boil and mince those. You could also use the suet fat from around the kidneys as well. All you would have to buy in would be some coarse oatmeal, some spices and an onion. Haggis is delicious. The rest of the intestines could be cleaned and stripped for use as sausage skins. Economical in everything except time. Also check out Hugh F W for other ideas. Happy Haggising (if Haggis can be used as a verb) Bob