Thread: Mesenteric lymph node swollen?

Mesenteric lymph node swollen?

I was out with a friend at the weekend who shot a roe buck. On inspection of the mesenteric lymph chain we found one of the nodes swollen to the size of a small golf ball? Otherwise the animal was in excellent condition.
    Wondered if anyone could help and indicate what this may have been? Thanks

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by W16OEN View Post
    I was out with a friend at the weekend who shot a roe buck. On inspection of the mesenteric lymph chain we found one of the nodes swollen to the size of a small golf ball? Otherwise the animal was in excellent condition.
    Wondered if anyone could help and indicate what this may have been? Thanks
    Could be anything was there any other sign of disease anywhere/ In the lungs or rib cage or liver, kidneys?

Without a piccy its not easy to give an opinion. either way the mere fact the nodes are swollen indicate something amiss.

I would not put it in the food chain anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post

I would not put it in the food chain anyhow.
    Why not?
    Just because they are swollen doesn't necessarily mean anything.
    The first thing a doctor checks when you go sick is whether or not your neck glands are swollen.
    Doesn't mean you are going to die if they are, and you could still enter the food chain if we still ate people!
    Swollen glands is not necessarily a notifiable disease! They swell up due to numerous reasons when we become ill.
    MS

MS is bang on look at the chain as a first indication of some kind of ill health. Then look for what it is. I had a lumps on a chain that were abit iffy and when we looked for the reason the kidney,s were full of liquid. Job dont and in to the freezer.

In reply to Mannlicher-stu, the chest area and all other organs appeared fine and in view of this my mate was going to eat it himself.
    I am working through my level 2 with one stalk completed - Mannlicher I think you are an AW? If you were witnessing me on such an animal do you think I should have rejected the carcass? I know it is difficult having not seen the animal. Do you think it would have been acceptable if you or an assessor had questioned me if I was to say that I would note the condition on the declaration and send the mesenteric chain in a bag with the carcass to the gamedealer?
    Sorry to put you on the spot - perhaps you may say that i can't be criticised for being overly cautious when it comes to the food chain?
    Thanks very much for your advise - i am not trying to start a debate merely increase my knowledge.

Thats what I would have done W16oen, note the condition on the declaration. Without supporting evidence of other problems with the carcass why reject it.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks