Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What parts require licensing?

What parts require licensing?

Which rifle parts require authorisation/licensing?

I believe owning an Action, Receiver, Bolt, Trigger, and Barrel,,but what about stocks, mags, scope rails>>??

what exactly can you buy and not be worried about getting your nuts in trouble with the FLO?

The basic definition that is used is "pressure bearing parts" require a certificate. So a trigger would not require a certificate but a barrel that is chambered would. If the barrel is unchambered it is normally regarded as just a rifled tube for point of law. That is the situation in the U.K. but don't forget that other countries see things differently and certain scopes for instance cannot normally be exported from the U.S.A. such as those with mil-dot reticles.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Which rifle parts require authorisation/licensing?

I believe owning an Action, Receiver, Bolt, Trigger, and Barrel,,but what about stocks, mags, scope rails>>??

what exactly can you buy and not be worried about getting your nuts in trouble with the FLO?
    What ever they decide upon at that moment is the correct if not legal answer.

NI law (relates to 1970's anti-terror laws) state to the effect that it is illegal to own an unlicensed firearm, "or any component part thereof...." and goes on to specifically state that it is illegal to even own a magazine for a weapon you don't have on license. Basically it seems everything bar the stock is covered, though funnily it looks like aftermarket triggers etc are fine.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

..this will be another Roadkill thread....LOL.

I'm just curious because I'm heading to the US next month, and want to bring back some things if I can...

was thinking:
    a. B&C, H&S, or McM... stock
    b. Jewell trigger
    c. Nosler Accubonds
    d. Zeiss Conquest ..but I guess mildot is not allowed?
    e. Pillar bedding kit
    f. Devcon
    g. Duracoat

..just curious which one's would get me in a tight spot if stopped either in the US or UK...

Funnily enough, the one thing that might cause bother is a scope, particularly with mil dots, red dots etc. The rest of the list is just hardware.

The yanks seem to have lost their corporate sense of humour this past few years.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

So much for the "special relationship"!, we must have missed the litter tray, & messed on the floor a bit.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

yes unchambered barrel off someone is fine.

If you get an unchambered barrel, what's the best process in respect of chambering when you get back home?

13.70 The term “component part” may be
    held to include (i) the barrel, chamber,
    cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii)
    breech, block, bolt or other mechanism for
    containing the charge at the rear of the
    chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm
    upon which the pressure caused by firing the
    weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights
    and furniture are not considered component
    parts. The 9th Report of the Firearms
    Consultative Committee provides additional
    information on this subject.