Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the size of your hole matter?

Does the size of your hole matter?

I knew that would get your attention!

I have a .243 Sako 75 with a Northstar mod. When I bought the Northsar the chap only had .30 size in stock and it was a good price so I went for it. He also said that when and if I got a larger caliber I'll be able to use it on that too which is a fair comment.
    What concerns me is that it seems a fair bit louder than some of the mods I've been next to (T8, Jet z) and I'm wondering whether it is the Northstar itself or the fact that its the wrong one for my caliber, does anyone know how much difference this actually makes?
    In an ideal world I'd be able to try a .243 Northstar next to or on my rifle and compare them.

I would like it to be as quiet as possible so will consider selling or swapping for the right one if I've made a mistake.

Any help much appreciated George

George

I think it's more likely that the dodgy bipod you bought is causing you issues. More seriously, I have only one mod, .30 cal which I use on both my rifles in my gallery. I did an exercise one evening with a friend who has a Northstar mod and we both shot two groups (one with his mod and one with mine). There wasn't anything to choose between them noise wise or point of impact. Without a sound meter and a controlled repeatable set-up I think it's hard to draw conclusions.

Moreover from a safety perspective, I think it's very important to avoid the possibility of putting an undersized moderator onto a rifle.

Rgds JCS

i cant comment on your particular mod but I have experimented with exit diameter and baffle bore on smaller calibre and air rifle moderators.
    adapting a .25 exit bore to .23 on a .22 rifle makes a big difference.
    I suspect with a larger centrefire rifle the design and chamber is of as much importance as the baffle and exit bore.

and as above, you really dont want to get too close to the flight path of 100 grains of jacketed lead doing 3000fps!

Funnily enough I was talking to Peter Jackson (Jackson's Rifles) about this as Atec do a mod to 6.5mm and then a 30 cal version (I have a 6.5x55). He recommended going with the 30 cal version unless I had the 6.5 mod checked for alignment on my rifle by a competent gunsmith. He said the difference in noise reduction would be less than 3db, which is certainly audible, but not really an issue unless you are shooting in avery noise sensitive place.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post

I have a .243 Sako 75 with a Northstar mod. When I bought the Northsar the chap only had .30 size in stock and it was a good price so I went for it. He also said that when and if I got a larger caliber I'll be able to use it on that too which is a fair comment.
    What concerns me is that it seems a fair bit louder than some of the mods I've been next to (T8, Jet z) and I'm wondering whether it is the Northstar itself or the fact that its the wrong one for my caliber, does anyone know how much difference this actually makes?
    In an ideal world I'd be able to try a .243 Northstar next to or on my rifle and compare them.

I would like it to be as quiet as possible so will consider selling or swapping for the right one if I've made a mistake.

Hi George
    I have a 243 northstar, i can't be that far from you if you want to have a go with mine you are welcome to. I was thinking of getting a 30 cal mod to go on my 308 so a swap might be available.Pm me your number and i will give you a ring
    Geordie

For what its worth when I got my first mod I was told optimon size is 1mm larger than calibre ie 6mm(243) best with 7mm dia hole in mod,South Yorks shooting supplies screw cut and supplied mod years ago

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    For what its worth when I got my first mod I was told optimon size is 1mm larger than calibre ie 6mm(243) best with 7mm dia hole in mod,South Yorks shooting supplies screw cut and supplied mod years ago
    Is the correct answer

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post

just a thought??.. but have you been at the side of your rifle/mod when its been fired by someone else, as it will be considerably quieter than firing it yourself no matter what mod is used!

I know that my 30 cal jet z is quieter on my 308 than on a 243.

Thanks JCS--- bipod still going strong.
    Steyr;indipedant observers have noted the difference in noise.
    Geordie , will PM you would be good to get together and see if there's a difference.

Cheers for your input guys , I'm probably just being a bit fussy, if I come to any conclusions I let everyone know.

George