Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Design a highseat,

Design a highseat,

Reading the various threads on highseat design I am working on a theoretical design of a fully enclosed highseat.
    Points to include so far,
    * simple freestanding tower,
    * base of highseat 1200x1200
    * bench seat to rear is hinged to allow access to enclosure loft ladder stylerather than up the side, H&S.
    * Sliding hatch to lock if required.
    *Shutters on shooting ports.
    *equipment/flask shelf.
    * roofed.
    * easy dismantled to move.

Would it be advantageous to make it 1900 x 1200 so you could kip in it?
    Would it require standing headroom?

Before retirement my main jod was prefabricating timber buildings. In retirement I still do a few. As time allows I will do a build. with photographs and sizes. But what do you want incorperated? We are getting pics on another thread but most are major construction jobs. I am talking two men two hours to put up take down and move on a quad trailer. a shed on stilts
    Input please,
    Jim

This is something that I have often pondered. One estate that I worked on had loads of freestanding towers but, to be honest, they were pretty dangerous, they were well built and solid but if anyone had fallen from one it would have been a long way down. Height is seldom a big factor on most sites. I like the idea of a shed on stilts, maybe the 'stilts' could be a couple of sections of modular scaffolding (probably a law against this!), any scaffold would need to be steel not aluminium otherwise the Caravan Utilising Nomadic Travellers will relieve you of it. I am working on an idea to build something similar on a trailer. JC

I think the hight of a tower should be a round 9 ft to the base of box i think the box area or seating area should be slated or you will cook in summer you can always cover with fabric internally in the winter time. Must fit two stalkers in comfort, shelf for stuff and not a thin shelf. Roof a must in scotland but open all sides large slit standing room not nessasary but head space while sitting good clearance.
    ASLO MUST BE TESTED JIM FOR A FULL SEASON ON MY GROUND.

The biggest problem for most is the getting off the ladder. You have a small area, rifle and other kit. I thought a ladder inside the tower was a safer option. The seat to hinge to allow access You climb up and step of to the side as in a loft ladder. It cuts out that unballanced moment to get on the platform. It also allows 4 solid walls. Cladding is then two sheets of OSB board. Roof two sheet onduline roof sheets framing and sarking 4 fence posts 2.4 or 3 metres job done.
    Jim

SD Regular
    Jim,

A great idea - I also like JC's version of 'ready mobile' on a trailer.
    On overall size, I would keep small, from a weight perspective, if nothing else. Larger will need additional bracing and pieces become more unwieldy. Sleeping in feels like a more permanent site, although I accept that may not be the case. 1200 wide seems sensible - possibly a little snug for two - does it need to be 1200 deep? If you're sat on a bench 450 deep, leaning on to a rail height of 1000, suspect rail a further 750 away is a bit of a stretch? Please don't think this is a criticism - it's a question as I am trying to visualise being inside. I see bench at 450 high, shelf at 700 and shooting rail at 1000?
    On standing room, I think ideally yes - one also needs to consider what one does with ones rifle(s) during entry. If slung over back, hatch will need to be larger and headroom enough to manouevre barrel safely. A bit of height at rear will allow for a small roof pitch too.

Do the shutters fold down to be the shelf/shooting platform? (It would remove my concern on depth from seat and give flex for the more vertically challenged (either way) to get a comfortable shooting position - and would mean no need for another shelf (so less wood/weight)

What are you thinking of covering the sides in - a fair surface area to be covered.

What sort of height are you considering? Obviously, stability is key and the higher one goes the more top heavy the hide. As first point, pieces become more unwieldy again too.

Sorry, I'm trying to help, but fear I am raising more questions than providing answers....

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

i saw a photo of a nice looking one recently that had a shelve on the outside to accomodate a bi-pod thought that was a clever little touch,

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    ......otherwise the Caravan Utilising Nomadic Travellers..... JC
    Now that is clever.

Permission to often repeat please?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I under stand your point of the ladder up the inside jim, so you would have a hatch.

So in theory it would be possible to use one like this and close the back.

Although bearing in mind this is a low box it could in fact be put on a tower quite easily ?

Rgds, Buck.

PS Still a bit on the small side if you wanted a kip!!
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    I under stand your point of the ladder up the inside jim, so you would have a hatch.

So in theory it would be possible to use one like this and close the back.

Although bearing in mind this is a low box it could in fact be put on a tower quite easily ?

Rgds, Buck.

PS Still a bit on the small side if you wanted a kip!!
    Is that not Ray Mears take on a portaloo?

The ones ive seen in poland have a ladder up the back to a sort of portch then the door opens outwards