Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neck shooting

Neck shooting

Neck shots - I don't really believe in it as I'm a H/L or wait for another day kinda guy, but if needed from a broadside position, do you prefer lower neck, middle, or upper part?

Also, for dispatching a deer from say 10 yds, would you prefer a neck shot or a follow up H/L shot - assuming head-shots are out of the question given a nice trophy is attached

Just curious how the members might differ in opinion on these two.

regards,

PKL

Yep, a controversial topic - not wanting a thread on 'is neck shooting ethical' - so please don't begin that whole thing. I stated I'm not into it, and that's that.

What I'm interested is the shot position neck shooters use - when and if. Oh, and some comments on the 10yd dispatch issue too..

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Neck shots - I don't really believe in it as I'm a H/L or wait for another day kinda guy, but if needed from a broadside position, do you prefer lower neck, middle, or upper part?

Also, for dispatching a deer from say 10 yds, would you prefer a neck shot or a follow up H/L shot - assuming head-shots are out of the question given a nice trophy is attached

Just curious how the members might differ in opinion on these two.

regards,

PKL
    personally i no longer neck shoot over 75 - 100yds , i have in my time neck shot at over 200 yds but now i keep to my 100yd max rule !

i personally aim for the base of the neck just above the start of the shoulder .

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I also don't believe in neck shooting.

I do believe that the best neck shot to take to hold just below where the neck meets the skull on the facing away presentation. If you go a little high it's into the brain, a little low it's still a high neck shot.

Sideways on is risky in terms of placing the vertebra on the inside and front ways on is risky as if the bullet goes high and into the jaw can deflect or disintegrate.

I've shot one deer in the chest and one in the next as finishers, the (side neck, I was at 3 yards and it put it's head up at that angle after what I said above...)neck shot was instant but they stay tense for a few minutes whereas the H/L shot took the normal 15 or so seconds.

As far as follow up shots go, it's about anchoring the beast or aiming for the best chance of hitting, if it's down and immobile you can pick your shot and angle doesn't seem very important.

I liken the whole thing to like neck shooting bunin

Strange this should be fresh on site this morning as I shot one H/L first thing about 6am it was no more than 60yds it ran back to a hedge and fell dead ten yds from me. Later about 7.30 shot a neck shot at 80 yds why ?
    First was trotting across a corn field and stopped to look around so imho H/L shot was the correct one to take.
    Second was laid in a hedge could only see top half of its neck and I had excellant rest and again best option.Incedentally I saw four bucks in total 3 clean 1 still in velvet.New ground to me and owner say far too many deer.

PKL, this is indeed a brave thread to post But I can see the reason for it!

I am not a shooter of a huge amount of deer but have had to do some dispatching in my time. I have used middle neck most of the time. Once I did shoot higher up because I wanted to be sure of instant death and was not bothered by any damage to the skull if it happened. So mid neck for me, if necessary.

Brave man.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Depends on the size of the animal, and what you can see!
    Muntjac I'll normally shoot low neck as it is a bigger target. Roe high neck if they are close and settled, but otherwise mid to low neck. Larger animals I will now only chance a high neck shot, as the only animal I ever lost was a Sika Stag which I hit low mid neck with a 100 grain Nosler BT out of a 25.06! It went down, then got up and ran off! Rather bemused, I then studied the skeletal structure of such a beast and realised that the spinal column isn't where I thought it was!! Apart from having a VERY thick post-rut neck, the neck vertebrae are much further forward than you might expect! It would appear that I just 'creased' the back of the neck which gave it a thump, but not enough to do much damage! A costly lesson in deer anatomy which I hope others may learn from?
    With deer such a Roe in standing crops, or little muntjac in cover, the head and neck is often the only part clearly visible. I'm not always fortunate enough to be able to leave them for another day!
    Humane dispatch is always a head shot as the trophy is irrelavent to me.
    I do chest shots too though!!!!
    MS

High neck for me or in the head. Dispatch in the head or use my captive bolt. With Roe and Muntjac you can often only see the head and high neck. Neck or head shooting is not for everyone and I would never argue against someone's decision to chest shoot. Know your capabilities and have confidence in your set up!

I am only a h/l shot. As I would not forgive myself if I messed up a neck shot. But, if I was to take a neck shot...at the base of the neck...is it a case of aiming in the middle of the base of the neck? or the top half of the base?

I don't do it but it is good to know for a follow up ect.

slightly different point but are ballistic tips actually better for the above job? (again just curious..I use sako gamepoints).