Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recknagel Picatinny rail for Sako 75

Recknagel Picatinny rail for Sako 75

Some will have seen my topic about a picatinny rail for the Sako 75.

Any way I took the plunge and purchased a Recknagel rail from Alan Rhone cost 65 inc VAT but excluding postage. Delivery time was about 2 weeks. All I can say is great to deal with and replied quickly to all my emails and kept me updated on delivery time. Also gave fitting instructions.

I was recommended to thoroughy degrease parts and rail before fitting and use Loctite 222 for the screw threads and Loctite 648 to lock the bar down.

Below are a few pics as I went through the fitting stage and also with my Swaro 6-24X50 mounted using Leupold quick release mounts.

I can say that I am very pleased with it, although a .20BR doesn't really test it's recoil capabilities!

Andy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rail components.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	6063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rail on it's own.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	6064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rail top view.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	6065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rail with mounts fitted.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	6066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top rail fitted.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	6067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rail with swaro fitted using leupold mounts.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	6068

Hi,

May I ask what your objectives were in installing the rail? more stability, MOA incline?

Andy

One question, could you not move the scope rings further apart? Or are you constrained by how the scope goes on another rifle?

Regards JCS

In response to both questions

Rail was installed primarily to aid night vision as can move forward scope, retain zero and provide better head position with add on. Also saving up for night vision scope the majority of which require picatinny rail to mount.

Position of scope rings is due to fact that can move scope forward and additional infra red mount is put on in front of ring.

Cheers

Andy

I like. At 65 plus the cost of a set of standard Weaver QD rings it is no more expensive than a set of optilock bases and rings.

My only concern would be that the scope would be very high.

Can we see a photo of how much clearance there is between the obj bell and the barrel.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I am curious. Aside from a tactical use, why would you want one of these on a stalking rifle? I grew up with the notion that you keep the number of gadgets between the glass and the rifle to a minimum. I have one on a .22 rifle I use for testing scopes and ammunition but it simply facilitates switching glass~Muir

Muir, I asked about that too on another thread, and I believe this was to facilitate a night vision scope, which needed the rail system.

In general though, it's just for QR mounts and for massive 72 diameter objective lens scopes, and those doing very long range target shooting where the MOA incline is neeeded - in my understanding. Oh, supposedly it's more solid and reduces the chance of the scope moving on large calibre rifles such as the .338 Mag...again, in my limited understanding.

Does Alan Rhone have a website or how can these be ordered, thnks.

Muir, just like all those continental Europeans with their quick change mounts.
    They often have two scopes along for the hunt. Driven hunt red dot and then for
    the evening on the high seat a 56mm scope.
    I use rails on my three rifles so that I can swop scopes when and how I want.
    End of Feb deer season is over and rifles job changes to long range varmint and target.
    Mid deer season one either has open terrain longer range day stalking or low light short
    range evening ambush. Stag season doe season, roles change.
    With the rail scope change is quicker. Another excuse to go out and zero a rifle.

One needs lowish mounts on the sako when a Roedale or Recknagel rail is fitted.
    I cut a bit off the front of the rail to fit a S&B zenith, no problems with the long 6.5-20x50.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Muir, just like all those continental Europeans with their quick change mounts.
    They often have two scopes along for the hunt. Driven hunt red dot and then for
    the evening on the high seat a 56mm scope.
    I use rails on my three rifles so that I can swop scopes when and how I want.
    End of Feb deer season is over and rifles job changes to long range varmint and target.
    Mid deer season one either has open terrain longer range day stalking or low light short
    range evening ambush. Stag season doe season, roles change.
    With the rail scope change is quicker. Another excuse to go out and zero a rifle.

One needs lowish mounts on the sako when a Roedale or Recknagel rail is fitted.
    I cut a bit off the front of the rail to fit a S&B zenith, no problems with the long 6.5-20x50.
    edi
    ..Like your setup mate, very simple, functional, and without the overly 'tactical' look. Lots of glass involved! you should get yourself some Bino's with integrated range finding.. Oh, would you care to share the setup details with the Forum?