Recknagel Picatinny rail for Sako 75

force64

Some will have seen my topic about a picatinny rail for the Sako 75.

Any way I took the plunge and purchased a Recknagel rail from Alan Rhone cost £65 inc VAT but excluding postage. Delivery time was about 2 weeks. All I can say is great to deal with and replied quickly to all my emails and kept me updated on delivery time. Also gave fitting instructions.

I was recommended to thoroughy degrease parts and rail before fitting and use Loctite 222 for the screw threads and Loctite 648 to lock the bar down.

Below are a few pics as I went through the fitting stage and also with my Swaro 6-24X50 mounted using Leupold quick release mounts.

I can say that I am very pleased with it, although a .20BR doesn't really test it's recoil capabilities!

Andy

rail components.JPGRail on it's own.JPGRail top view.JPGrail with mounts fitted.JPGtop rail fitted.JPGrail with swaro fitted using leupold mounts.JPG

Andy

One question, could you not move the scope rings further apart? Or are you constrained by how the scope goes on another rifle?

Regards JCS

In response to both questions

Rail was installed primarily to aid night vision as can move forward scope, retain zero and provide better head position with add on. Also saving up for night vision scope the majority of which require picatinny rail to mount.

Position of scope rings is due to fact that can move scope forward and additional infra red mount is put on in front of ring.

Cheers

Andy

I like. At £65 plus the cost of a set of standard Weaver QD rings it is no more expensive than a set of optilock bases and rings.

My only concern would be that the scope would be very high.

Can we see a photo of how much clearance there is between the obj bell and the barrel.

I am curious. Aside from a tactical use, why would you want one of these on a stalking rifle? I grew up with the notion that you keep the number of gadgets between the glass and the rifle to a minimum. I have one on a .22 rifle I use for testing scopes and ammunition but it simply facilitates switching glass~Muir

Muir, I asked about that too on another thread, and I believe this was to facilitate a night vision scope, which needed the rail system.

In general though, it's just for QR mounts and for massive 72 diameter objective lens scopes, and those doing very long range target shooting where the MOA incline is neeeded - in my understanding. Oh, supposedly it's more solid and reduces the chance of the scope moving on large calibre rifles such as the .338 Mag...again, in my limited understanding.

Muir, just like all those continental Europeans with their quick change mounts.
They often have two scopes along for the hunt. Driven hunt red dot and then for
the evening on the high seat a 56mm scope.
I use rails on my three rifles so that I can swop scopes when and how I want.
End of Feb deer season is over and rifles job changes to long range varmint and target.
Mid deer season one either has open terrain longer range day stalking or low light short
range evening ambush. Stag season doe season, roles change.
With the rail scope change is quicker. Another excuse to go out and zero a rifle.:D

One needs lowish mounts on the sako when a Roedale or Recknagel rail is fitted.
I cut a bit off the front of the rail to fit a S&B zenith, no problems with the long 6.5-20x50.
edi
DSCN2161.jpg

Muir, just like all those continental Europeans with their quick change mounts.
They often have two scopes along for the hunt. Driven hunt red dot and then for
the evening on the high seat a 56mm scope.
I use rails on my three rifles so that I can swop scopes when and how I want.
End of Feb deer season is over and rifles job changes to long range varmint and target.
Mid deer season one either has open terrain longer range day stalking or low light short
range evening ambush. Stag season doe season, roles change.
With the rail scope change is quicker. Another excuse to go out and zero a rifle.:D

One needs lowish mounts on the sako when a Roedale or Recknagel rail is fitted.
I cut a bit off the front of the rail to fit a S&B zenith, no problems with the long 6.5-20x50.
edi
DSCN2161.jpg

..Like your setup mate, very simple, functional, and without the overly 'tactical' look. Lots of glass involved! you should get yourself some Bino's with integrated range finding.. Oh, would you care to share the setup details with the Forum?

Well, that's why I have one on my test mule. I keep forgetting that you guys change scopes, and we change rifles! Once I get a scope mounted it stays until I decide to permanently :)roll:) switch glass. I doubt if that rail is more secure with regards to recoil. A one piece Leupold mount secured to the receiver with the accompanying rings is going to be a very secure mount; more so that a long base with spacers between the rail and the receiver. I have also found that scopes mounted low to the receiver withstand inertia better than high-mounted scopes.

I wonder how many folks put on there rails because they look "tactical"?? :D~Muir

(Nice rig Edi!)

..Like your setup mate, very simple, functional, and without the overly 'tactical' look. Lots of glass involved! you should get yourself some Bino's with integrated range finding.. Oh, would you care to share the setup details with the Forum?

PKL, most on here have been pestered with me writing about this rifle.
It's an old sako 308 that my father bought in the early seventies from a PH in South Africa where we lived at the time.
I got the thing handed down maybe 10 years ago. It shot terrible and still had african sand trapped between
stock and action. Had a Lothar Walther heavy magnum sporter barrel fitted by Roedale and the rifle shot well.
Looking for a stock led to an expensive exercise. Now we produce stocks.
This one has an all carbon fibre stock that weighs bedded under 700 grams.
For off season target shooting or longer range testing I like the 6.5-20x50 conquest. Because it is light
and one can see bullet holes at 300m, saves me running up to the target.
With my 6.2 Oz moderator it also makes a good accurate and light enough deer rifle.
Some of our shooting is after sika in high grass where head neck shots are the only option, this
rifle is ideal for that.

Muir, couple of reasons for the pic rail.
European scope mounts are horribly expensive and often very heavy.
A friend of mine from Texas who visits the IWA once a year brings me mounts along.
Got half a bucket full this year. All I need is to have a pic rail on my rifles.
I bed my rails on the rifle and hope that they don't move. I know it is not ideal, but
at the moment best for my needs.
Actually I would need another two or three rifles, would love a 257 roberts with....

edi

Last edited:
Fine cartridge, that Roberts. I have an ancient Remington 722 in Roberts. It's a nice, trim deer and varmint rifle but these days I only shoot cast bullets through it at varmints.~Muir

Back