Annoyed beyond words.....

Straightliner

Went stalking yesterday with a friend of mine. Turned up at the appointed spot to meet the stalker only to find that he had another chap with him. We set off to the first set of woods, a walk of some three hundred yards when my friend spotted seven fallow on our side of the treeline so we hit the deck. The stalkers mate scooted to the side of the hedge to our left and promptly let off a shot at two hundred yards hitting one of the bucks. The herd ran down the field and we gave chase along the hedgerow. He took a second shot through the hedge and missed. The herd ran again and chappie hit a second on the run. The herd ran to a second field and paused, a third shot at 375 yards resulted in a gut shot and the end of the beast with a knife.

Now we have to drag three deer to a collection point, gralloch and load them onto the truck, we now have two hours or less stalking time. They have four hundred pounds worth of deer plus our stalking money. Fecked off is an understatement.

Your views please.....

Ouch, Sounds very dangerous chasing Deer with Loaded weapons and letting shots of at 375yds.

I would ask what plan was put in place prior to the stalk to ensure safety and who would do what and when. I often stalk in company but always have a predetermined plan of where what who and when. I am also aware of each persons rifle regarding number of loaded rounds in magazine and status of rifle.

I would doudt you will go with this person again. Learning curves are sometimes very step and expensive but worth it in the long term.

better luck next time Dalkur

Suss...:-|

I'd ask for a partial re-imbursement, to say the least! That is not the time for the stalker or his buddy to be culling animals, it's the time for him to let you, the clients have YOUR day! Plus, terrible practice to show two stalkers that are paying for a days stalking!!!!

Never again if I was you,,soooooooo much better available - this kind of behaviour will mean the end of his business.

I think I would have fealt the same as you, if after paying for a stalk the guide turned up with his mate and started shooting everything...Money back time
Hopefully you didnt find him on here....

I agree entirely with "fallowm,oor" as this incredibly unprofessional behaviour gives other stalkers who take out paying guests a very bad name. Post his name and details so others who use this site don't get caught the same way!

I'd be inclined to have a very frank chat with the stalker about the case before naming him on an open forum, just to make sure there were no mis-understandings of any kind.

Otherwise, I do agree, it's completely unacceptable.

....Turned up at the appointed spot to meet the stalker only to find that he had another chap with him....

Your views please.....

I would have gone home at this point, your chances have already dropped 50% before you started.... and reading on, it sounds like the other chap is a bit trigger happy. No time for people like that :mad:

This sounds more like the wild west than a paid for stalk. DEMAND your money back.

I would have made it clear that was not what you were paying to come and see and walked away demanding a full refund and left them to it,did they have horses they certainly sound like cowboys.

So, lets get this straight - Four people out, shooting at running deer through hedges at between 200-375 metres, and charging you for the priveledge of helping to fill their larder!:!:
Sounds to me like they shouldn't even hold FAC's let alone be guiding others!!
That is pretty disgraceful!
How did you find out about them?
I'd be asking for a FULL refund and name and shame them!
MS:(

How much did you pay ? Name & Shame. It is not fair to others to find out the hard way.
I went pigeon shooting with a guide near melton Mowbray, with my wife. He wanted 100 £ each. I used to live in the area and although quite an experiened pigeon shooter I was out of touch with the farmers. I expected to have at least 50 shots. The guy set us up in a hide and cleared off to do some more cash jobs taking out wasp nests. The field had been harvested of Oil seed rape 2 WEEKS AGO and apparently shot several times. We did not put up any birds when we set up & there were no birds in the trees.
I started to become very dubious and only by moving the hide to a better postition did I manage to shoot 4 birds with 5 shots. My wife who remained in the original hide did not shoot at all. I phoned the guy & he said he would have a look around (something that he should have done before trying to charge us £200).
He did not come up with anything. I then rang somebody I knew about him who said that he had got into trouble for putting clients onto an estate with elapsed permission( He had asked over 2 years ago and the manger had changed). I packed up & told that he was getting £50 and was lucky at that.

Last edited:
The first thing you should have done is questioned the Stalker on the reason for his friend being there. If he told you that he was going to split you and your pal up, one to go with him and the other to go with his friend to another part of the estate, then that would be ok.
If he told you that the four of you were going in the same direction on the same stalk that you had paid for, well I'm afraid I wouldn't have even seen the first shot. I'd have told him to poke it, cancell the outing and demanded my money back. The guys a chancer. Name and Shame, for everyones benefit.
Regards
Alan

As usual people are jumping up and down having heard one side of the story. I find there are normally three sides to every tale, your's, theirs and somewhere between, the truth.
Without the other party being on here to give their side we could say anything that cant be substantiated.
I'm not saying the OP isn't genuine but without the full story we shouldnt be asking for a name and shame, bit too close to vigilantism for me.

Name and shame, name and shame, name and shame... What have you got to loose sounds like he has royally screwed you over... unless you had agreed with him that this would happen?

Maybe rather than naming and shaming you could write a article in the appropriate section about your experiance with the unnamed and let others decide. Try to stick only to facts and not how you felt about the day, if you can remain impartial?

Last edited:
Back