any tips???

stav

Right guy's after afew months i,m now of stalking for the 1st time at the weekend. i,m stalking saturday morning/evening and sunday morning.i,ve got clothes,bino's and thats about it lol. it's accompained stalking with an estate rifle, was hoping to take my own rifle but as my fac has not turned up yet thats not happening. (3 1/2months) i,m building my equipment up as i go so i,m wondering what i need to take with me. As i build my stuff up what are the essentials and what are luxuries. any advise gratefully recieved. stav

Your guid should prity have the essentials covered. I would say bins and a good set of sticks should do it, obviously waterproof clothing, good hat and some gloves (weather dependent)

Dont forget your camera for your 1st stalk as out three times you should be lucky enough to need it..

And a sense of humour to enjoy it all..

Good luck..

hi stav never forget my first time, take a net for your butterflys:lol:...no really enjoy it mate ..when the bug bites your hooked for life

I had my first stalk on 24th march mate with the Colin aka the Solway stalker shot a roe doe . It's a fantastic experience and I'm now hooked can't wait to get again . Hope you get a shot ! Good luck

If you take a camera you could always SHOOT the deer with it.!!! :D

Not forget'n you might get a NICE BUCK and be kick'n yourself if you forgot it. ;)

Rgds, Buck.

The biggest tip is watch and learn and take as much info in as your guide puts out . During the stalk ( DONT TALK UNLESS SPOKEN TO )Or you might feel his hand slap your nut .;)
Good luck.

A good pair of boots, decent waterproofs and lots of layers.

If you're comfortable and warm/cool, and your feet are dry, then you'll be in a better position to enjoy the stalks, and will have a better chance of making a good shot. If you're uncomfortable, sore and cold, then the chances are you won't enjoy it. There's nothing more miserable than being out on the hill, cold and wet, and having to walk back with wet feet!

Stav,

Appropriate clothing,bins, a snack and a drink should be all you will need with you. Yourguide should have everything else. Listen to his advise and you willhave a brilliant time.

For your own sake justplease make sure that when that really exciting moment comes when youare about to pull the trigger, only do it if you are 100% certain ofyour aim. I am new to stalking too and I had a really bad experienceon my second “kill”. I have been shooting paper andpigeons/rabbits all my life and consider myself above average with arifle. But when you are out of breath from the chase, your heart ispounding with excitement and adrenalin is making you shake, it iseasy to pull a shot. I managed to gut shot a doe which we had todispatch with a knife. It was a very upsetting experience and monthslater I still feel tarnished by such a failure. It has taken me along time to built my confidence in my ability back up and even after6 kills (including perfect heart shots at 180 and 160 yards) I amstill worried that I might fxxx up again!

So, relax and don'trush and you will have a brilliant time. All the best and I lookfroward to hearing how it went.

Peri

A decent bottle of Scotch for your guide, you never know, it could mean the beginning of a long friendship and some free stalking over time;)

I would imagine a bottle of whisky would not come across in a bad light at all, but definitly hold of till the end to see if he deserves it!

Good cloths, binoculars, knife and rifle are the essentials every thing else is a luxury. Just take a bag to leave in the car with all your crap like extra layers and a flask, maybe wipes if you end up with a bloody hand or just stick to wet grass like me. I wouldn't carrry to much, just makes me faff about shuffling things around in my pockets.

Defo take a camera, and post a picture!

The biggest tip is watch and learn and take as much info in as your guide puts out . During the stalk ( DONT TALK UNLESS SPOKEN TO )Or you might feel his hand slap your nut .;)
Good luck.

:D:thumb:

And... even tho' a bottle of malt is a nice thought... giving him the price of a bottle of malt to spend as he (or maybe she) chooses is probably more use and will be appreciated better. I hope you have a good trip and enjoy it, whatever the outcome.

Back