Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A moral to this story.

A moral to this story.

Went out for a stalk this evening. First field I started off in I spotted 2 bucks, one 6 pointer and a small 4 pointer - chasing each other. So I thought I'd see what they do. They run straight towards me, not responding to the usual whistle or yell one got to within 5 yards before it spotted me, he stopped head on for a split second then bolted right and away taking the other along with it.

Next I headed around the rape field I was heading for and spotted a buck in velvet following a doe. So I stalked down the hedge within shooting range and waited for them to present a shot - not on due to the height of the rape. So I patiently waited for them about 100 yds away, but the doe disappeared. She reappeared 5 yards behind me after walking up the tram line head down - then took off when I turned to see what the noise was behind me. The buck didn't know I was there so I proceeded to stalk him round 3 edges of the field before he completely disappeared.

Heading home I spotted the same small 4 pointer I'd seen earlier feeding along a hedge line. So I stalked to within shooting range (appox 80 yds) only to have him spooked by a dog walker some 200 yds away, I didn't see him again.

I probably had the rifle on the sticks 5 times with the safety off and no shot.

1st moral of the story - stick to the open fields and woods, not rape fields that are 4ft high.

2nd moral of the story - don't slag off your fellow stalkers online for silly grammer mistakes, the deer Gods ARE watching and they will punish you !!! (grammar spelt incorrectly for sarcasm purposes)

Regards

Tom

a period of community stalking service should have the gods back on your side !! did i mention no roe bucks in northants lol

none here ross only the odd stray from kelmarsh which i wouldnt shoot ,had a doe on the shoot last may hope one turns up this yr !
    dont forget we have M1 A45 A14 and dozens of rifles between you and me ,could do a swap ,fox for a roe buck sound tempting lol

best regards
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    none here ross only the odd stray from kelmarsh which i wouldnt shoot ,had a doe on the shoot last may hope one turns up this yr !
    dont forget we have M1 A45 A14 and dozens of rifles between you and me ,could do a swap ,fox for a roe buck sound tempting lol

best regards
    norma
    I have plenty of foxes of my own to shoot. Found an earth the other day! Need to take care of the occupants very soon!!

I have personally seen roe further towards your direction between towcester and Northampton.

I m sure it won't be long before they are near you.

Cheers

Ross

hope so ross
    forgot the M 40 IN MY LIST .think the trouble is we have too many " deer managers "in northants and i use the term loosely and not enough deer .got a book the other day SOME ACCOUNT OF ENGLISH DEER PARKS .dated 1867 a most interesting read .northamptonshire had 14 large deer parks 6 within a short distance from home so by all accounts we should be teeming with deer near me .there was a small bunch of roe near harrington ,it was said the keeper shot a doe and just chucked her in the hedge ! can you believe it, would really love more round here they simply facinate me
    regards
    dug
    ps didnt think you would go for the fox swap lol
    Last edited by norma 308; 24-04-2011 at 17:32.

Roe spread very rapidly down through yorkshire in the 1960's/ 70's, in the last ten years or so they have even started to colonise the built up area's. I have a buck at the bottom of my garden sometimes and I am along way from open farmland! So it should not be so long before most of the roe-less parts of the midlands start to see a few, they should be coming on from the south, east and north.

lets hope so ,just wish they were given a chance ,i get so pi++ed off hearing "i shot the 6 pointer cos if i didnt so and so will " when i saw the doe on my place last may i swear i nearly had a heart attack .the wife who was with me said "if only you got that excited about me ".well i see her every day bless her !

lets hope so ,just wish they were given a chance ,i get so pi++ed off hearing "i shot the 6 pointer cos if i didnt so and so will " when i saw the doe on my place last may i swear i nearly had a heart attack .the wife who was with me said "if only you got that excited about me ".well i see her every day bless her !
    308, Does your wife get cross because you make more of a fuss of the dogs than you do of her?

It drives my wife crazy, she tells me I talk to the dog more than I do her

Yours from the dog house, Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

hope so ross
    forgot the M 40 IN MY LIST .think the trouble is we have too many " deer managers "in northants and i use the term loosely and not enough deer .got a book the other day SOME ACCOUNT OF ENGLISH DEER PARKS .dated 1867 a most interesting read .northamptonshire had 14 large deer parks 6 within a short distance from home so by all accounts we should be teeming with deer near me .there was a small bunch of roe near harrington ,it was said the keeper shot a doe and just chucked her in the hedge ! can you believe it, would really love more round here they simply facinate me
    regards
    dug
    ps didnt think you would go for the fox swap lol
    They will be your way soon enough like others have said.

10 years ago you would have been hard pressed to see more than a couple of roe on my ground.

Now some nights when I am out after foxes I can see up to 20 roe. Once in July, I literally spun round 360 degrees with them lamp and counted 17.

It is a damn shame people don't respect deer of any kind, I would hate to waste a morsel. Let alone chuck a whole carcass in a hedge!!!

Cheers

Ross
    Last edited by 270Buck; 25-04-2011 at 21:46.