6.5x55 factory rounds

swisher44

Hi all

Does anybody have any reviews or advice on factory rounds for a 6.5x55, I am in the market for this cal rifle and was just wondering what good rounds are available.

Cheers

Swisher44
David

My sako likes everything but I have a soft spot for the Privvi 139gr and the 156gr RN.
Accurate cheap and they work above all else very well they are just a slow round.
If you want Quick you need Norma with the 120 gr BT or RWS 127 gr CP.

I think 6.5 is the most forgiving calibre as most rifles in this shoot pretty well anything and accuracy is good I have had pmc norma homeloads of various weights all group well enough for most stalking bur now I tend to use 139grn sp and if i try I can get 5 shot clover leaf groups.

My sako likes everything but I have a soft spot for the Privvi 139gr and the 156gr RN.
Accurate cheap and they work above all else very well they are just a slow round.
If you want Quick you need Norma with the 120 gr BT or RWS 127 gr CP.

It is interesting to note that my Sako witha 21"-ish barrell gives 2700fps with the Norma 120gr, and 2600-ishfps with the RWS 127gr.
The latter is not what I would consider 'fast'. The RWS figures for the 127gr are based on a 25.5" barrel, and remarkably their 140gr figures are taken from a 29" barrel. The 140gr give 2550fps from my rifle.

Fortunately, mv isn't everything!

It is interesting to note that my Sako witha 21"-ish barrell gives 2700fps with the Norma 120gr, and 2600-ishfps with the RWS 127gr.
The latter is not what I would consider 'fast'. The RWS figures for the 127gr are based on a 25.5" barrel, and remarkably their 140gr figures are taken from a 29" barrel. The 140gr give 2550fps from my rifle.

Fortunately, mv isn't everything!

They are about the fastest factory you can buy and agreed barrel length makes the difference.
Handloads can go much faster.
The 156 are just legal in my sako but the deer don't like em one bit.

I use 140Grain Federal in 6.5 x 55 through my Blaser with 22inch Barrel, this groups within 1/2 inch at 100m, and has performed well on Roe, Rutting Red stags/ Fallow Bucks and the odd jap.

I use Norma 120 grain BTs in Sako 85 and they work realy well. They semm ideal for munties /roe and fallow although I get the 270 out for the Rut. I went for 6.5 because of its low recoil and less meat damage than my 270. This may seem a bit a daft comment/question but would you risk losing these attributes if one started putting hot homeloads through it?

I can recommend nothing higher than Norma 150g Vulkan. Tremendous quality factory ammo, very precise out to 250yds, and has excellent knock down abilities on anything from Roe through to Red stags. Penetrates through and through, mushrooms very well, and does not break up on expansion. Meat damage is not excessive either, and it has a protected tip, so you don't have to worry about deformed ammo.

Not easy to find in the UK though, but any RFD worth his salt will agree to have a batch tagged onto a mass order.

has anyone tried 100gr in 6.5x55 and what were the results please i have a styer 20" mountain and have used norma and powershok they work fine but i fancy for the range something a bit flatter over 250 yds
many thanks for any help

bob

I think that this cal. has never been better than today with all kinds of bulletconstructions and modern powders.

I think you shoud bye some boxes of different ammo types and producers and try them in your rifle. I am maybe "old school", but I prefere long, heavy bullets in this cal. with good sectional density. With this weight you are prepared for everything.

Two of most used rounds in Norway are Lapua Mega and Norma Oryx in 156grs. The first is a cheap option, good conventional sp, mashrooming vel, the second a bit expensive. Second one is premium bonded bullet.
Both shoot excellent in my S&L. I f you can find it, Prvi Partizan 156grs RN is good classic, cheapast round. I use this bullet to trining and hunting.

Lapua Naturalis is one of safest on big animals, as moose. Only copper, no lead in them. Work fine on small deer to. Minimal meat damage.

478w.jpg

Back