Steel Target

just stick a 10p piece on a block of wood :)

try your local welder, he should have some decent steel knocking about and can weld either braces or a hinge and stand on it for you for not much money.

buy a cheap frying pan from aldi even got a handle on it to hang it from a post. bit dearer than a ten pence piece though.:lol::p
sinbad

Why would you want one? The chance of ricochet or deflection is very dangerous!
What are you trying to achieve?:confused:
Here is a good demo of why you shouldn't shoot at steel plates!

MS

Last edited:
On a range, on an angled target; into my forearm above the wrist out through the elbow joint, down the pocket of my trousers, through the heel on my boots and stop. No bones hit, but thought I was on fire....and that was .22 Rimfire.

On a range, on an angled target; into my forearm above the wrist out through the elbow joint, down the pocket of my trousers, through the heel on my boots and stop. No bones hit, but thought I was on fire....and that was .22 Rimfire.
Christ!:eek: I bet that stung a bit!
Is that how you got your user name???!!:lol:
MS:)

FFS! DO NOT SHOOT AT STEEL PLATES!!!!!

Last edited:
Why would you want one? The chance of ricochet or deflection is very dangerous!
What are you trying to achieve?:confused:
Here is a good demo of why you shouldn't shoot at steel plates!

MS

How many of you have a .5 Browning on your FAL, silhouette shooters only shoot at steel targets if setup properly there is no problem with ricochets if using soft point bullets they disintergrate on impact,
Robert.

Hadn't thought of that - it actually felt like burn, weeped clear orange coloured fluid (like Lucozade) for a couple of years after, especially in the summer. Bits of wooly pully too, half the sleeve disappeared into the entry hole! I was very lucky, sort of..

How many of you have a .5 Browning on your FAL, silhouette shooters only shoot at steel targets if setup properly there is no problem with ricochets if using soft point bullets they disintergrate on impact,
Robert.
The ranges are significant with HME shooting as I understand. Agree that setup with purpose built targets is enjoyable and safe as any sport.

Robert.
What, into dust? They may well break up, but the bits still go a long way as none of it is captured.
Go and try firing a load of high velocity tracer at night into a perfect backstop like a 45 degree sandbank and then you will get an appreciation of bullet capture - or NOT! People assume that as soon as a bullet hits something it is no longer dangerous! BOLLOX!!!!!!
:cuckoo:MS

Have to admit that watching tracer bounce in the strangest of directions does bring home the complexity of ballistics. It is my experience that the further away you are the better! :D

What, into dust? They may well break up, but the bits still go a long way as none of it is captured.
Go and try firing a load of high velocity tracer at night into a perfect backstop like a 45 degree sandbank and then you will get an appreciation of bullet capture - or NOT! People assume that as soon as a bullet hits something it is no longer dangerous! BOLLOX!!!!!!
:cuckoo:MS

Again how many of you have tracer on your FAL, and how many ranges will allow the use of tracer, Tracer is unstable thats why it goes all over the place try shooting a group with it at 300 metres,also it is FMJ so it doesn't break up like sporting ammo, You would have to be standing very close to the target to get hit with any debris, if the target is set properly the debris go into the ground,

So who amongst you refuse to provide evidence to a stalker that you can actually hit a deer in the right part of its body, when asked to shoot at the plate before going to the hill?
What do you tell him.....
"have you a user friendly target"
"can't do it mate, 'Elff n safety"
Try a scrap yard and ask for 8" - 10" blind flanges, been using them for years. Bullet puts a good size dent in them but dose'nt come back.

Surely WMS wouldn't be doing much business if shooting at steel plates was considered dangerous......

Again how many of you have tracer on your FAL, and how many ranges will allow the use of tracer, Tracer is unstable thats why it goes all over the place try shooting a group with it at 300 metres,also it is FMJ so it doesn't break up like sporting ammo, You would have to be standing very close to the target to get hit with any debris, if the target is set properly the debris go into the ground,

I think you are missing the point mate. I'm not suggesting we use tracer rounds! I'm using it to visually Illustrate the fact that bullets don't always just stop at the backstop, even if it is a sandbank! What happens to a bullet after it hits something has nothing to do with whether it groups well at 300m!
I would agree that steel plates can also be set at safe angles and ranges.
However, there are a lot of factors to consider! Use of the wrong type or thickness can cause the surface to pit or dent which can cause a variety of ballistic after-effects!
I'm guessing that the original poster isn't a ballistics expert, but maybe I'm wrong?
My posts are merely to highlight the dangers of shooting steel plates to him (and others) that may not fully understand the consequences of getting it wrong!!:eek:
I'm sure this fella though bullets only go in one direction also! :

I use BT heads which we assume are the most frangible right?
Last year I shot a Roe Doe clean through the heart and lungs with a perfect sloping sugar beet field behind as a backstop. The ricochet I heard would have put most cowboy film ones to shame. It must have hit a piece of flint or something on exit, but it certainly didn't sound like small bits of debris wanging off into the distance!!! Thankfully the area was clear for a good distance but it scared me!:scared:
I've also had a .22 FAC airpellet pass very quickly between mine and a friends head after he shot at a golf ball! That was very educational!;)
I try not to shoot hard things any more!
MS

Back