Thread: Best Practice

Best Practice

I have been turning an idea over in my mind for a while now and the recent thread on neck shooting and the numbers of new members joining has brought the idea the fore.
    I have not read any of the best practice guidelines from any organisations and I am not sure if it has been covered before.

There are topics that keep coming up and even though the site is home to many very experienced stalkers there are very often topics that result in significant differences of opinions even on matters that should be black and white (such as the legalities of venison entering the food chain and the requirements for disposing of the gralloch). It is entirely possible for a new stalker to read the site and not be any clearer on a topic indeed possibly even less clear having read many different opinions.

So the question is, is it possible for us to agree a set of principles that (in large measure) we all agree on.

A good example would be long range shooting. Its a hot topic and never ceases to disappoint in raising the temperature but even on this I think it is possible to agree a 'best practice' view.
    My view would be that as stalkers we believe that it is our duty to do all that we can in order to ensure that when we take the shot we do so having reduced the variables that always exist to a level, where we can be pretty sure that the one shot will do the job. Anything that increases the variables, such as distance, weather, backstop, presence of other animals or humans needs to be taken into account. Would it be reasonable to agree then on the topic of long range shooting that, whilst it is possible to kill a deer from considerable distances that it is not ideal and should only be done in circumstances where 1) the stalker has reduced the distance between themselves and the animal to as close as they are able 2) that they have practiced with the equipment they are carrying at the distances involved and in similar weather conditions on inanimate targets 3) that there are absolutely no grounds for taking such a shot as a means of testing oneself or the equipment 4) that an immediate reload is essential in order to deliver another round if the first has not been sufficient.

These examples are not meant to be exhaustive by any means but I do believe even though there are significant disagreements amongst us, that it should be possible for us to put together a series of best practice guidelines generated by practitioners which should have some weight and respected by those that read it.

What do we think?

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    I have not read any of the best practice guidelines from any organisations and I am not sure if it has been covered before.
    I would suggest that you maybe go and look at them then, as you will find most areas are covered.
    As for getting the SD members to ALL agree on ANYTHING................

MS

Might be very difficult!!

What is long range for one stalker might well be rifle zero range for another!!

It might be a better idea if site admin could create a folder of contentious topics which could be locked down but used as a reference section?

Just my thoughts

D

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I would suggest that you maybe go and look at them then, as you will find most areas are covered.
    As for getting the SD members to ALL agree on ANYTHING................
    MS
    MS.

Agree that the SNH Best Practice guide is comprehensive and it's worthwhile reading and using as a reference, but there is no active maintenance and revision of the document, so it's long term value will diminish. I raised a firearms safety issue in this publication with DCS and they weren't interested, in fact they didn't understand the issue.

Secondly, practice varies depending on the job in hand, the location, the management objectives, the urgency to do something, ..... I could go on all week.

It's incumbent on us each to understand our own circumstances, but it's wrong to try and dictate to others in different circumstances what they can and cannot do.

Regards JCS

If you look at the BP guides you will see that is what they are guides not laws. With regards long distance shooting that should be left well away from BP. If it were to become part of the guides i feel that a totally differnt shooting test would need to be brought in to cover it. Certainly there could be a thread started with questions and if a definitive answer cannot be found then the questions could be be sent to SNH or DI .