Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 270 wsm

270 wsm

Any one got any opinions on them ?from experience if possible.
    Amate of mine is looking at a rifle for his missus, Have to admit i suggested a 308, she can use my 30-06 no problems but I think the 270wsm maybe a bit sharper.
    Alocal gun dealer is trying hard to push the 270wsm into them.

Quote Originally Posted by john.d.m View Post
    Any one got any opinions on them ?from experience if possible.
    Amate of mine is looking at a rifle for his missus, Have to admit i suggested a 308, she can use my 30-06 no problems but I think the 270wsm maybe a bit sharper.
    WSM's are a dying cartridge. They were a last ditch effort from Winchester to boost gun sales and the cartridges, despite their performance, are fading away. The WSM's not as fast as the WSSM's, but they are going. I'd advise your friend to look to a 30-06 or 308 if his wife can handle it.

That dealer knows that they are a dead issue in the States. Supplies of brass will surely dwindle in the UK and he will be stuck with the gun. (Some Dealers have sold off the WSM rifles at less than cost to get rid of them, here.) ~Muir

Hmmmm I wonder why .. Could never really see the point of them and the only one I might have had any interest at all in would have been the .325WSM but then I happen to like 8mm's........................ As Muir says carefully check the availability of ammo and brass etc..

This interests me! Every time I see a wildcat article in shooting press (mainly Bruce Pott's I admit) or read about ballistic efficiency in bench rest calibres, people are always saying that short fat cases produce a cleaner burn and are more efficient. And yet they are on the way out, why?

Are they pigs to feed? What's wrong with them?

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Personally Simon, I`m a bit old fashioned (or behind the times) I`m not into new rounds, like my 30-06 too much I suppose.
    And it`s worked, mate isn`t gonna buy the 270WSM, he listened to me

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    WSM's are a dying cartridge. They were a last ditch effort from Winchester to boost gun sales and the cartridges, despite their performance, are fading away. The WSM's not as fast as the WSSM's, but they are going. I'd advise your friend to look to a 30-06 or 308 if his wife can handle it.

That dealer knows that they are a dead issue in the States. Supplies of brass will surely dwindle in the UK and he will be stuck with the gun. (Some Dealers have sold off the WSM rifles at less than cost to get rid of them, here.) ~Muir
    Amazed to hear this. I've sold several over the years and all have been very well received and used. I use a 7mmWSM myself - and have a wide choice!!. My only problem with WSM is availability!. Have a look on Guntrader, see how many are for sale. I KNOW some have been sold!!. As has been said before though, 'each to their own'.

Hmmm you might be easily amazed then. Take a look at who actually offers new rifles in such chamberings now........................................ Not many I'll wager. Just because you sold a few does not mean they were well accepted in the main. Now as it's quite common knowledge here I like some unusual chamberings and efficiency is not the sole reason. The last one for me the 280AI is not particularly efficient but it filled a purpose in my case which was to duplicate the performance of the old .280 Ross.

The reason places like Guntrader don't have any is because they are dead in the water, the WSM's that is, you don't find many .280 Ross's on their either for the same reason it's a dead cartridge now.

Quote Originally Posted by john.d.m View Post
    Personally Simon, I`m a bit old fashioned (or behind the times) I`m not into new rounds, like my 30-06 too much I suppose.
    And it`s worked, mate isn`t gonna buy the 270WSM, he listened to me
    Jiohn, I know what you mean, i like the older "time served" calibres myself too. I cannot imagine anyone having a problem with recoil from a moderated .308, however light framed they were.

It's this wildcat and ballistic effficiency versus popularity that I don't understand. Not that I am in any hurry to own one you understand! It's just I do not comprehend why, if the cartridge is so efficient, are they really unpopular?

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by 243ack View Post
    Amazed to hear this. I've sold several over the years and all have been very well received and used. I use a 7mmWSM myself - and have a wide choice!!. My only problem with WSM is availability!. Have a look on Guntrader, see how many are for sale. I KNOW some have been sold!!. As has been said before though, 'each to their own'.
    If you had to choose a current production WSM to buy which would it be then?~Muir

(gunbroker.com has 127, 270 WSM rifles, most NIB)
    Last edited by Muir; 17-04-2011 at 14:04.