My shooting wagon

Hi,

Just picked up my Suzuki on Thursday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00119-20110415-0628.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	378.2 KB 
ID:	6119

Great little vehicle, a little bit narrow but the trump card, it has a safari/fold down windscreen. Great for lamping.

Been out last night and bagged lots and lots of rabbits. Will also be great for extracting deer when required.

Getting it sprayed by my brother in matt green.

I know some of you guys have also got Jimny's and SJ's. What do you all think of them?

Cheers

Ross

Ross,

I've had four Suzuki shooting trucks now and have found all of them to be brilliant. My first was an Ebay purchased SJ410 that turned into a labour of love, with a complete rebuild - it ended up as a heavily customised mini Tonka truck in NATO green with a 4" suspension lift on Ironman springs, massive MTs on oversize rims, a rebuilt 1.3 engine, an SU carb' conversion, twin batteries for lamping, a thru-roof lamp rig, shooting rests on both doors and a jump seat on the back so that I could shoot off the roof - it would go anywhere! It is still alive and doing service as a much pampered shooting truck down in Wiltshire.

That was replaced with Monkey Spanker's black SWB Vitara when I needed more space for dogs, deer and bigger rifles. I did some of the same conversions - T-bar lamp, twin battery, shooting rests. That, in turn, was replaced with a couple of LWB diesel Vitaras when I needed yet more space for bigger dogs and bigger deer - one truck got written off in an accident and the other now belongs to a mate and is still going strong.

SJs and Vitaras are excellent trucks with proper hi/lo 4x4 systems that put many larger and more expensive 4x4s to shame. My new Nissan X Trail, despite its economy, good road manners and refinement, isn't half the truck my Suzukis were.

A.

I've just found a source for NATO matt green paint if you haven't already got some. JC

Had an SJ once b****y brill, did the lot and never once let me down.

I am on my second Jimny and have had no trouble with either, other than the wife writing the first one off! I am tempted next time to go for something a little larger, but then reality checks in and i count my blessings.

A good choice, for trick bits try these folks;
    http://www.rhinorays.co.uk/
    http://www.kapsuzuki4x4.co.uk/

There are very few better off road vehicles.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Ive had 3 SJs in the past great little trucks, always thought the greatest aset in the original 410 was the manual choke, if stuck used to stick it in low box pull out the choke then jump out and push, had it run away a few times but in first in the low box it was easy to catch.....

Have sunk some of my newer vehicles trying to follow routes the SJs travelled with ease... Happy days

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Ross,

I've had four Suzuki shooting trucks now and have found all of them to be brilliant. My first was an Ebay purchased SJ410 that turned into a labour of love, with a complete rebuild - it ended up as a heavily customised mini Tonka truck in NATO green with a 4" suspension lift on Ironman springs, massive MTs on oversize rims, a rebuilt 1.3 engine, an SU carb' conversion, twin batteries for lamping, a thru-roof lamp rig, shooting rests on both doors and a jump seat on the back so that I could shoot off the roof - it would go anywhere! It is still alive and doing service as a much pampered shooting truck down in Wiltshire.

That was replaced with Monkey Spanker's black SWB Vitara when I needed more space for dogs, deer and bigger rifles. I did some of the same conversions - T-bar lamp, twin battery, shooting rests. That, in turn, was replaced with a couple of LWB diesel Vitaras when I needed yet more space for bigger dogs and bigger deer - one truck got written off in an accident and the other now belongs to a mate and is still going strong.

SJs and Vitaras are excellent trucks with proper hi/lo 4x4 systems that put many larger and more expensive 4x4s to shame. My new Nissan X Trail, despite its economy, good road manners and refinement, isn't half the truck my Suzukis were.

A.
    Sounds like you did to your SJ what I am planning with mine. Mine has already got the SU carb fitted.

As the windscreen folds flat down onto the bonnet in the soft top I am hoping it will be OK to shoot using the windscreen to rest my bipod on. Has anyone else done that with theirs or have you all had hard tops?

Were the shooting rests removable? Would it pass its MOT with them on?

I am going to remove the back seats and the jump seat sounds like a great idea. If I can work out a way of extending the seats height I can use it as a portable highseat. I would still want to be able to put the hood back on though. Any ideas?

Did you find you needed the second battery for lamping? I was going to run mine off the cigar lighter, I would have hoped you would not of needed a second battery unless you are parked up, engine off, lamping for extended periods of time?

Cheers

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    I've just found a source for NATO matt green paint if you haven't already got some. JC
    Hi JC,

That's great.

What form does the paint come in? My brother has all the kit for spraying cars so would it be compatible with that? Or are they aerosol cans?

Cheers

Ross

had a lwb sj 413 went anywhere had some gr8 lamping nights in it with a good set of tyres impossible to beat .mostly use a bike these days as its not my fuel except when its really cold must be a cissy in my old age !
    regards norma
    ps the 413 is still going i gave it to a mate as his shoot run around

Quote Originally Posted by r.atkinson View Post
    Hi JC,

That's great.

What form does the paint come in? My brother has all the kit for spraying cars so would it be compatible with that? Or are they aerosol cans?

Cheers

Ross
    www.leavesley-international.com 15 per 2.5l can. I bought two cans and they charged me 9.99 carridge on a 48hr service. I use it for brush painting highseats and gates but they supply the correct thinners too so I can't see any reason why it couldn't be sprayed. Good, helpfull guy on the end of the phone too. JC