tree damage

apollo

anyone know whats doing this tree damage, there are fallow roe and muntjac in the area...

DSCN1992.jpg

DSCN1993.jpg

DSCN1994.jpg

only seen that once before we think the roe took a liking to the rising sap.would be intersting if you could get a stealth cam set up

I think you would find a roe buck cleaning/ marking then tugging at the frayed ends while chewing them hence the height of the damage.About 20 yrs ago a friend who lived in a remote house actually watched it happening to his trees I think they were poplers.had to shoot a buck one day while he took the wife out for the day!.the damage stopped.;)

well we took these two off there last evening and there is a bigger clean buck there too so will have to see if there is any other damage and try getting some pics, there are three trees in a row done exactly the same and the smaller trees/bushes around them are snapped up too

DSCN2000.jpg

If that was a deer, i've never seen anything like it or how cleanly to ground level it was stripped. I'm thinking human by the lack of ground level sign and the height stripped.

I would have thought that if it were deer there would be teeth marks, antler scores and dangling bark on the upper sections? It's quite large in diameter as well.

I have only ever seen bark stripping (on a large scale) by Sika.

It is normally a sign that there are large numbers and food of any quality is in short supply as nutrition from bark is limited. I appreciate you do not have Sika but if it has been stripped by a deer of any kind, as already suggested, you will see very obvious marks caused by the teeth. It looks like double scores with very slight line running down the middle.

Last edited:
Back