Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what shotgun would you buy

what shotgun would you buy

Hi all,

Here is a question for all you game shooters, if you had 1600 to spend on a o/u in 20b or 12b what would you buy new or sechond and why as i am thinking of buying myself a shotgun.

regards
    chris

Try a few, it's which fits you best. However I tried lots and found beretta silver pigeon the best. I love mine and would not swap it for any other gun. It would leave you a few pounds for some game shells.

Regards Oli

+1 For Silver Pigeon. Mine is in 20g, 30" barrels, handles well, light to carry and if you are on song a pleasure of a gun to use.

i have seen my mates siver pigeon 20 bore and it has very nice wood i might see if i can have a shot.

What sort of game shooting? Driven where you are taken to a peg and may fire a lot of shots quickly then the 12G has the advantage. If it's a full day walked up rough shoot firing a box of cartridges then the 20G has it.

The 12G is cheaper to feed, much greater choice of ammo but heavier. My gf has a Beretta Ultralight and that weighs in like a 20G but is a proper 12G.

If you have another 12G in the cabinet there would always be the fear of a 20G shell getting mixed in with awful consequences. For that reason alone I wouldn't entertain one.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    What sort of game shooting? Driven where you are taken to a peg and may fire a lot of shots quickly then the 12G has the advantage. If it's a full day walked up rough shoot firing a box of cartridges then the 20G has it.

The 12G is cheaper to feed, much greater choice of ammo but heavier. My gf has a Beretta Ultralight and that weighs in like a 20G but is a proper 12G.

If you have another 12G in the cabinet there would always be the fear of a 20G shell getting mixed in with awful consequences. For that reason alone I wouldn't entertain one.
    Sorry apache, I cannot agree with your opening statement.

I have used a Beretta 20b for about 15 years now. Originally a game version o/u and latterly a sporter version of the same gun. For no other reason than because I love the quick handling of it on game.

I am 6' tall and weigh 15 1/2st so my size has no bearing on the 20b needing to be used.

I have also loaded for dozens of American/Continental shots on double gun days who use a 20b and on some drives during the day I will go through over 250 shells.

It is not about firing lots of shells in quick succession, it is about using the right load in these shells. 26grms of no.6 from a 20b will bring any of the towering pheasants down I have seen just as well as 36grms from a 12b. Providing you can do your bit!

And just for further proof, a Dutchman who used to come over here shot on these big drives with a pair of .410's and still held his own. Mind, he was one of the best shots I have ever seen.

What type of shooting do you do? is it all driven Phesant or do you shoot the odd duck/goose would you want to use it on a fox drive?
    How big are you?
    A 20 bore will kill any high pheasant that you would reasonably expect to kill with a 12 but supply of cartridges can be a bit more expensive and if you are shooting 1oz loads all day in a 20 it can be a bit rough on the shoulder (especially some of the ultralight models)
    A 12 bore with 3" chambers is a good all rounder but can be a bit of a lump to walk around with.
    My father used a 20 exclusively for over 50 years on everything from rabbits to geese and could kill everything i could but for me they tend to be a bit short in the stock and i like a bit of weight to help keep me swinging through.
    Try as many as you can and see what you like, I rate the silver Pigeon but for that money you can be a bit choosey.

Ezzy

cheers lads what it is i have nice rifles so i am not buying anymore but i do get asked to the odd day shooting pheasants and ducks and would like a nice shotgun .

i am 5 foot 10 in height .

i use to shoot alot of shotgun when i was young lad and i had a browning liege model from 1975 and i could shoot that spot on but then i wanted me 1 st stalking rifle so that went which i could kick myself.

regards
    chris

Simple one this. Beretta Silver Pigeon 3 Sporter in 12g. Great allround gun for game, clays etc plus it has multichokes and 3'' chambers to cope with the odd wildfowling trip and fox drive (if you must shoot foxes with shotguns!). The wide rib is something of an aquired taste but I like it. The Sporting model comes with a non-auto safety but it is a simple, and highly recomended, job to get it made into auto safe. 20g guns are lovely, I shot one for years, but you are always going to be restricted on cartridge supply. JC

12 or 20 will kill and potentialy patern the same with the same weight of lead going up the barrel but like for like the 20 bore will be lighter (good for carting round if you are slightly built or a little frail. If you put the same weight of lead through both guns at the same velocity the lighter 20 bore will deliver more felt recoil so depends what you want to get a light gun or a light recoiling gun.

Dave